The Delinquents - chpt. 2

The Delinquents

Chapter Two

            I had only one suitcase with me. It sat on the floor of the car by my legs and kept knocking against my knees each time the car turned. I had said goodbye to my mother that morning. I had clutched her hand and tried to make her understand but all she comprehended through the drug induced haze was that I had been arrested. After she knew that, it was easy for her to let me go.

            “We’re almost there,” the female officer from the station—who I learned was named Kristina—said. She was a cautious driver, the kind that looked both ways twice before turning any corner. I found myself able to relax in her presence.

            I nodded, “Okay.” I watched as the city buildings turned into open fields and then eventually into thick forest. Apparently, this group home was tucked away in the middle of nowhere so the troubled youth wouldn’t be influenced or distracted. 

            “Now, the judge said that you could be here for a while. Ultimately it’s up to Evan—Mr. Meyers to decide," Kristina informed me. I later learned that she worked mostly around youth related issues which explained my comfort around her. She had been trained to handle kids like me. 

            I nodded again, “I know.” I wasn't sure how I felt about Evan Meyers controlling my future, I had seen two different sides to him and was unsure which side was the true reflection of his character.

            Kristina smiled at me, “It won’t be so bad.”

            “I’m not worried about it,” I said nonchalantly. In actuality, I was scared out of my wits. I mean, I was a tough girl. However, all I could picture were teenagers who had murdered people and kids with long scars running down the side of their faces. How was a shoplifter supposed to fit in with such shady characters? 

            It wasn’t long before the thick vegetation turned back into open field as we arrived at our destination. Kristina smiled at me again before hopping out of the car. I stared straight ahead at the large house for a moment. My breath was caught in my chest and my stomach was twisting around. I wasn't entirely sure if I was able to move.

            After a few moment, I gathered the courage I needed. “Here we go,” I whispered to myself as I left the safety of the car. I grabbed my suitcase and wheeled it out behind me as I walked. Kristina was already ringing the doorbell by the time I got there. We waited for someone to answer and when no one did, Kristina banged on the front door with her fist, sending a shy smile to me as she did.

            The door creaked open and revealed a petite girl with short, choppy black hair. She has warm brown eyes and dark skin that was smooth and unmarked. She looked bored as she took in Kristina and glared as she saw me. “Can I help you?” her voice was like ice. Her tone told me that her lovely exterior did not match her personality.

            “Lily! I got it,” Evan came sauntering up behind the small girl—Lily—and tossed us an easy smile. “Piper, it’s nice to see you.” Lily snorted at Evan's comment, her dark eyes meeting mine with hostility before she turned and left. Evan didn't seem bothered. I found myself slightly uneasy.

            “Hello Mr. Meyers,” Kristina said, “I trust all is well?”

            Evan nodded, “Yes, it is. Sorry about the wait, the doorbell is broken. Are you ready Piper?” I looked up at Kristina and wished desperately we were back in the car, three hours ago. Knowing that I couldn't tread backwards, I looked to Evan instead and nodded my head.