Chapter 50: Prancing Horses

Evan leaned against the garage door frame, rubbing the grease off his hands with a now-filthy cloth. He gazed out at the grandstands. It was still too early for most of the crowd, but slowly more and more seats were filling as fans arrived for the first day of the Italian Grand Prix. Monza!

The Belgium Grand Prix had passed by them all in a flash, bringing with it another less than spectacular result for Seb and Dan, who finished 7th and 6th respectively.

Evan hadn't heard from Casey now in 5 weeks. He had to admit by that point that even he was starting to get worried. He'd thought it would be a couple of weeks at most. Seb grew more subdued by the day. Evan was pretty sure he no longer believed him that he hadn't heard from Casey... he'd eventually just stopped asking.

As it was Thursday, the cars wouldn't be going out. The whole day would be spent tweaking the car set-up and running it through a thorough testing process to ensure everything was in optimum condition for the Free Practice sessions the next day.

Evan sensed as Jacob joined him at the door, brushing his fingers subtly across Evan's hip before tucking his hands in his pockets.

"I have a weird feeling about this weekend." Evan said, turning his focus to Jacob.

Jacob grinned back at him, "Then a weird weekend it will probably be."

---

Evan turned out to be right, as often was the case, as 'Silly Season' kicked off that very day. Silly Season was the term used by the Formula 1 community to label the several weeks or months every year where rumours regarding driver and team personnel changes became one of the most talked about topics as new deals were struck and contracts were signed.

Two of the biggest rumours to sweep through the media that day were that Alonso was heading back to McLaren. And who should take his place at Ferrari? None other than Sebastian Vettel.

It was quick to hit the garages and speculation became everyone's new favourite past-time over the course of the day.

Evan wondered how Casey would feel about this rumour. If it was true, he was going to be seriously annoyed. She'd have left for nothing! She could have stayed and just toughed it out through the rest of the season until Seb left. Unless they got their shit together of course.

Evan and Jake were still talking about it hours later as they retired to their hotel room for the night.

"It's too hard to believe!" Jacob exclaimed as he pulled his shirt off over his head and slung it over the back of a chair in the dining area.

"Seb would never leave Red Bull right?" Evan replied.

"If he does, Case could have stayed." Jacob said sombrely.

"Yes... she could have." Evan huffed.

"Maybe you should call Julie. It's getting too long..." he said thoughtfully, flopping down on to the sofa next to Evan.

"I don't want to rush her." Evan muttered.

"She left five weeks ago." Jacob replied, "That makes it seven weeks since the break up. Almost 2 months!"

Evan sighed and leaned back. "Trust me, she'll be fine. If I can be patient, anyone can." he replied with a smirk.

---

The next day was the first day of practice sessions for the Italian Grand Prix. Sebastian was milling around the garage with his new trainer, Antti. Evan hadn't spoken to Antti much, but from what he could tell at a distance, he seemed like a nice enough guy. They were standing at the back of the garage together, talking quietly.