18. You. Harry. You-and-Harry

Darien Grace

Darien Grace

I hadn't been able to concentrate all day. My mind kept spinning with thoughts of the green-eyed man I'd tried so fucking hard to forget. He popped, unbidden, into my thoughts. Each time I would push the memories of him away, they would come back with renewed force.

    I tried to keep busy, hoping that constant activity would keep the memories from flooding back—it was no use. My sonata still echoed through my mind, and again my new composition accompanied it. I forced the song from my mind and feebly attempted to finish the new composition, but every note I hit fell flat. Seeing Harry had been far too surreal. It brought everything into heart-shattering clarity, making me remember all of the things that had sent me careering into oblivion in the first place.

    Jas had known that something was off at lunch, but I hadn't known what to say to her. I had no idea how to explain just what I was feeling. I didn't know myself. What the hell was I supposed to feel? Anger? Betrayal? Hurt? Heartbreak? Shock? Desire? My head and my heart were engaged in a war for my sanity

    I knew that Jas had been surprised when I called. She hadn't been able to disguise the confused shock in her voice. I felt so fucking guilty that it had taken a run in with Harry to clue me into my need to be with my best friend. I'd needed her in my life for months now. It had been obvious that she'd needed me too. I could see it clear as day as we watched each other from across the crowded street. I'd just been too fucking wrapped up in my own shit to realize what I was doing to us—to our relationship.

    When I saw her standing outside the restaurant, I ran to her, pulling her into me. She stiffened immediately.

    "Dari? Are you okay?" She asked, pulling back slightly to look appraisingly at me.

    "What? I'm fine." Confusion rolled through me as she continued to stare at me as if I'd grown two heads.

    "Are you sure?"

    I pulled back, still keeping her hand clasped tightly within my own. "Yeah, why?" My smile was too tight, it pinched the corners of my mouth.

    "You're all touchy-feely. It's weird as hell." She shook her head, laughing slightly.

    "Maybe I just missed my sister?" I tried my best to sound nonchalant, shrugging slightly. I knew that I was trying and failing to hide most of my anxiety over the morning's events.

    "Bullshit." She eyed me warily before her expression softened. "Fine. You get a pass until after lunch, but you're going to have to tell me what's going on eventually."

    "I'll take that deal." I smiled gently at her as we entered the restaurant.

    "Table or booth?" The hostess asked, her gold name tag announced her name was "Fade". She couldn't have been much older than eighteen, though she looked closer to sixteen. Her dark eyes were too wide and innocent, black hair curling around her shoulders, dark against her skin soft cocoa-colored skin.