Chapter Twenty-Two

Autumn's Pov:

"Will you just try it?" Rylee tried her best to get me to eat her disgusting combination of fries and shake.

"That's so gross." I laughed, shaking my head and moving her offending hand away from me. I won't lie, my mom was right. I needed to get away from the stale hospital air. I hadn't realized how miserable I had become until we sat down outside with our delicious food.

"It's not gross like literally everyone does it." She argued, munching on the fry she had dipped into her shake. I scrunched my face in disgust as I watched her eat.

"Oh my god, you're alive!" I looked over Rylee's head to see Bailey running over to us and nearly crashing me off of the bench seat. She had wrapped her arms around me so tightly I thought I was going to burst.

"Bailey!" I yelled, smiling from ear to ear as she took her seat beside me. Rylee smirked, placing her glasses above her head. I looked at her with a knowing looking, earning a shoulder shrug. "How did you know we were here?" I asked, even though I was positive about her answer. She looked at Rylee, winking horribly as if it were some secret. Rylee gave me a telling expression; as if to say 'Hey, you needed to see her.'

"Your girl over here texted me that she broke you out." She reached over, grabbing my burger and nearly eating half of it. I blinked in surprise, always amazed at how much she can fit into her mouth. "How's Audrey, by the way?" I looked back at the shorter girl who was now munching on my fries. I frowned, the feeling of sadness was creeping back and I just didn't want to feel it anymore. Was I a horrible person?

"She's stable, still in a coma though," Rylee answered for me, causing me to nod my appreciation towards her. "My dad said she's fighting hard though." I offered Rylee a smile as if to replace for a verbal thank you.

"I really am sorry, do you need anything?" She frowned, both of them glancing towards me now. I offered a half-smile, shaking my head. What could anyone do in this situation? Do you have a working brain in your pocket? My thoughts were consumed in the negative lately and it was making me feel less of myself.

"No, it's okay. Thank you though, Rylee's family has been helping with so much." I said, reaching across the table and lacing my fingers with Rylees. She gave me a toothy grin before smacking Bailey's hand away from her shake.

"Do not even think about." She said, laughing lightly as she picked up the cup. I watched as her cerulean eyes flickered up to mine, a wave of calm washing over me as if I laid on the warmest beach. Bailey must have sensed my uneasiness as she looked between Rylee and myself.

"I actually should probably get going, my moms on her period and shes being a raging bitch right now." She rolled her eyes as stood up, leaving me to shake my head. This was what I needed, despite her not staying long, being around Bailey always made me smile. "Like, she goes through six hundred tampons then sends me to buy them." She groaned, waving as she walked away. "Rylee, "She added, pointing two fingers towards her eyes and then one to Rylee, who sat unphased by the gesture of being watched, "Take care of my girl. Bye!" and with that, she was gone just as fast as she appeared.

"She is an odd duck, isn't she?" Rylee asked, squeezing my hand. I nodded my head while grabbing another fry.

"You have no idea." I laughed.

"So, are you going to try the combo now?" Rylee asked, her brow raised in curiosity. I groaned, finally caving in. "Yes!

---

The rest of the afternoon was spent in unaware bliss. I hadn't realized how much I missed spending time with Rylee. After lunch, she took me to a local go-kart track. I, of course, destroyed her. Either that or she let me win, but I'll just pretend it was the previous thought. As we walked back to the car, I couldn't help the butterflies erupt as she wrapped her arm around my shoulders, pulling me close.