Legend

Legend says, there was a man and a woman.

They loved eachother but they were in a wrong place in a wrong time.

Both were soldiers dedicated to humanity.

Titan separated them.

She died and he survived.

He cursed every day of his life because how can he spend them if she's gone?

In lonliness he was languishing. In sadness he was drowing.

That was until his last day.

On the bed, holding his adopted son and daughter's hands, he told his story.

They cried, but dazzling light pervaded his vision.

The last thing he's seen was green and dark-blue. His children's saddened eyes.

The last thing he's heard were their calls. Those desperate sounds.

The last thing he's felt was their hands squeezing his gently.

After the last of his sences, he was no longer in this world.

.

.

.

"Pretty depressing story, I must say," said Charles, staring at the worlds The end on the buttom of the page.

"But that's why it's beautiful," Arakan smiled and stood up to put a pencil case into his backpack.

"How can this be beautiful? I mean, I'm not into clichés like 'lived happily ever after', but this just makes me too sad from the inside," Charles answered and did the same as his friend.

"Well I find it beautiful not just for its meaning and flow, but because there's a happy ending."

"What do you mean?" Charles raised an eyebrow.

"Well, they're together in the end. Both dead, but met in heavens again," Arakan answered, pointing up above.

"Well... true, but... How did that came to your mind immediately?"

"Because I'm an optimist."

"Pff, sure. You love tragedy and tears, I've got it."

"What?" Arakan exclaimed.

"You can't fool me, bro, I know you," Charles said with feigned glare. "You're as sadictic as your grandfather."

"Don't remind me, please," Arakan said with a groan. Charles laughed.

"Jokes aside, how can you not be even a tiny bit sad about it?"

"I've told you already."

"Explain because I'm a little short in prudence," Charles said amusingly, not because he didn't get it even a tiniest bit, but because he wanted to understand his friend's thoughts more.

"What more can be said? Tragedy is tragedy because many people say so. They only see the end, but not the gist. They see the sad part but not the happy one. The happy one and the right one is the gist itself - tragic love, death, happy ending, repenting," Arakan said, closing his eyes with hand before him. He looked like he was a character in a theatre, making emotional speech in front of everyone. "Both are death, yes, but are together for enternity, with no boundaries or torments of their age and people. On the other side, the ones who led to their deaths are wiser and punished for their deeds."

Charles hummed. "Kill me if you don't become a philosopher."

Arakan laughed. "Shut up, maybe I do actually."

"Then watch yourself. World doesn't value noble intelectuals."

"You have a point."

Door opened and a woman peeked in.

"Boys, Hanji is down," Petra said.

"We're coming, mom," Arakan said and hurried with packing his things up.

Petra walked to the table and lifted the book.

"'Legends of Titan days', huh?"

"Teacher said we have to do an analysys of one legend from this book in pairs," Charles said.

"And what did you choose?" Petra asked in curiosity.

"A tale of Deceased and Tormented," Arakan said, swinging his backpack over his shoulder.

Petra seemed astounted for a moment. "What a morbid name for such a beautiful story."

"You know about it, aunt Petra?" Charles asked in wonder.

"Of course. I know it from the beggining, like I myself was there when it had happened," she said with a smile.

Charles raised both eyebrows. Confused, he wanted to say something, but Arakan pushed him lightly.

"Come on, we'll be late!"

"A-alright. Goodbye, aunt Petra!" Charles waved and Petra waved back. Before two boys fully exited the room, Arakan gave her an omniscient look which she returned.

Petra walked up to the window and looked as her oldest son and her nephew had gotten into Hanji's car and she drove off. In the end, she was a teacher in their high school. Sighing, she turned around just to see her husband leaning on a doorframe.

"You confused the poor boy," he said and circled his arms around her waist.

Woman giggled and kissed her husband's lips. "I couldn't help it."

Levi smirked. "You love teasing people; haven't changed at all," he said and kissed her again.

***

"You know, Charles. Maybe I'm their son?" Arakan smirked smugly.

"Which?"

"Of the Deceased and the Tormented."

"... Don't talk to me," Charles said and turned his back to Arakan, gazing throught the window.

"Oh sorry, I've forgotten it's your job to be a crazy one," Arakan said, lifing both palms up in defence.

Hanji only smiled while she listened their following bickering.