Tradition

If tradition is the marriage, then what happends when there isn't such a thing? Is that considered as disrespectful behavior towards customs and tradition our ancestors heedfully maintaned?

That question hammered Petra's head day by day. Was this life an ideal one? Of course not, but if someone asked her, relationship they had was as close to marriage as possible. So is it wrong to stay like that? To not get married at all?

Besides, it itself will bring more problems. They would be officially together. Others would see them as that and picture of them might change in their eyes forever. If they retire and then marry, it'd be ok, but right now, it wouldn't be seen as an advantage.

And somehow, both of them liked this kind of relationship more than they would like a traditional one. Even so, they've made a deal - if they survive long enough, they're going to settle down together.

"What you've been thinking about?" Levi asked.

"About us. Do you think this relationship is enough itself?"

"Hm... Why that came to you all of a sudden?"

"I don't know. It's not I'm not happy, but what do you think my father would say if he knows? Would he approve it or would he be mad because we're not married?"

"You've told me your father thinks you're too young to marry, so I don't see a problem," he smirked. Petra slapped his hand lightly with feigned irritation.

"I think seriously," she sighed. "I really feel like a bad daughter. I'm hiding this from him and that's not a small nor insignificant thing. I'm afraid to tell him, yet I'm afraid if he's going to find out. I know it's better to hear it from me, but how?"

Levi thought for a moment. "You know I have no problem with hiding further, but if you are so uncomfortable about it, then we can go to your father and talk it out."

Petra frowned and pulled the blanket over her nose, so only her eyes were visible. "Are you sure you are ok with that?" she murmured.

"Yes," Levi answered.

"He might get angry and yell."

"Nothing I haven't encountered before."

"But those weren't the father of the girl you love."

"I know what's on your mind," he said and took a strand of her hair inbetween his fingers. "I've heard stories how they can be really terrifying, but everyone that were telling were exaggerating."

"Oh, believe me, they were not."

"How so?"

"Rememeber when Eld was telling his story?"

"Yes," Levi said. How can he forget that? The way his right-hand man described his encounter with his future father-in-law, it seemed more like a good, old fishing story.

"Well, I happened to be at his fiancée's doors to bring something and I've heard enough to believe everything Eld explained," she said and laughed. "I hope my father wouldn't be like that."

Levi raised an eyebrow. "Is that so? And what did you do?"

"Nothing partucular. I thought I shouldn't interrupt and evesdropping would be too rude, so I've gotten back home and returned after two hours. Luckily, it was nothing urgent."

"Well then," he said and wrapped his arms around her, kissing her cheek. "We'll see."

"We'll see," Petra smiled.

.

.

.

"Well, you see... As her father, I think it's too early for her to get married. You know, she has so much to experience and there's a whole life ahead of her."

Really? he laughed.