Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight
L'amour est une chose délicate
Marlowe Castille
Forks, Washington
July 14, 2004

~
Come live with me and be my love,
And we will all the pleasures prove,
That valleys, groves, hills, and fields,
Woods, or steepy mountain yields.
And we will sit upon the rocks,
Seeing the shepherds feed their flocks,
By shallow rivers, to whose falls
Melodious birds sing madrigals.
And I will make thee beds of roses,
And a thousand fragrant posies,
A cap of flowers and a kirtle
Embroider'd all with leaves of myrtle:
A gown made of the finest wool,
Which from our pretty lambs we pull;
Fair lined slippers for the cold,
With buckles of the purest gold:
A belt of straw and ivy buds,
With coral clasps and amber studs;
And if these pleasures may thee move,
Come live with me and be my love.
The shepherd swains shall dance and sing
For thy delight each May morning;
If these delights thy mind may move,
Then live with me and be my love.
-Christopher Marlowe
~

"Again, Marlowe, try again." Carlisle's voice registered in my mind, sounding very far away even though I knew he was sitting right beside me.

"Everything is just so blurry and dark." I told him, shaking my head, my eyes still shut tightly. "I don't think I can keep doing this."

"Try, I believe in you." He reassured me.

Hedge gardens. Pale moonlight. Bronze hair.

"Good, push through" Carlisle encouraged me.

"Bonjour, je m'appelle Marlowe Castille." ...

"I happen to think it's very alluring." Edward's devilish smirk momentarily dazed me...

Platinum blond hair. Soft caramel curls. Adoring golden eyes...

"You don't know how happy we are to meet you." Carlisle told me, eyes shining in excitement...

"Wonderful!" Carlisle's same excited eyes were suddenly all I could see as my vision faded away. "I saw everything! You really can project your gift!"

"So Edward really wasn't just reading my mind?" I asked.

"No." He shook his head, looking like this had sparked a new fire of curiosity in him. "It seems as if you can now project your gift through touch. You had a hold of my hand, but I suppose you could project from any contact."

"Trust me I can." I giggled and Carlisle raised his eyebrows in question at me. "Well how did you think Edward realized I was projecting last night?" I smirked.

"Oh, I see." He grimaced a little in embarrassment. "Regardless of how you discovered this new advancement, I'm quite glad you did."

"Why?" I laughed at his excitement. "I've been a vampire for eighty-six years. Why is my gift just now changing?"

"Maybe it's just evolving as you grow more accustomed to it." He offered. "You have been working very hard these last two decades to improve your anxiety and how you manage your visions. Maybe some of the efforts we've put in place to compartmentalize your visions are really helping it to expand farther out."

"I have a more open line for communication since I'm not held back by so much static." I nodded.

"Exactly!" He smiled. "There's no telling what you'll be capable to do if we keep working on it."

"Two decades worth of intensive exercises to help with my anxiety over my visions and I get rewarded with being able to show other people my visions. Hmm, doesn't seem fair." I giggled. "Well, at the very least my anxiety has improved significantly, don't you think?"