Chapter 14

Emilia's POV

"Natalie." Nick whispered. Still holding Maddy on her arms, she walked towards the almost naked girl and enveloped her in a tight embrace. I felt my chest ache like it was stabbed by a thousand knife. Who was she?

"Wow! Nick! Don't tell me you have been hiding this cute child from us all along?" She said as she took a closer look at Maddy's sleeping form. "She's so cute!" The sudden pain in my chest disappeared based on her reaction as if she wasn't a threat at all.

"Don't be silly sis, this is Maddy, Em's little sister. Isn't she adorable?" Sis... my goodness... I actually got jealous to her sister. And I don't even have the right to feel that way since we're just friends. "Em... I'd like you to meet my favorite sister, Natalie."

"I'm your only sibling you idiot!" Natalie responded. "Hello Em, I hope my crazy sister's treating you well. I know about her reputation but this is the first time that she actually introduced someone to me, so I'm gald that someone finally tamed her. Just let me know if she breaks your heart and I'll break her neck." My mouth agape at her words. I was about to correct her when Nick cut in.

"Oist! It's not like that."

"Oh don't be shy little sister. I'm really so happy for you."

"We're not like that. We're jus friends." There was it again, the sudden pain in my heart at the mention of the word friend.

"Would please put some clothes on?" Nick said from behind as she tucked Maddy on the couch.

"Why? Afraid that I might steal your girl?"

"For the thousand times, she's not my girl." Then again, I felt my heart just stabbed. What's wrong with me.

"Since she's not your girl, then you won't mind me making a move to her?" Natalie asked. I can't tell if she was just joking or trying to hit a nerve but I sure doesn't like Nick's expression... as if she wanted to lash out.

"Do what you want. I'm going out for a while." Nick gave me a look in which I can't describe and then walked away from the unit leaving me alone with her sister.

Natalie's POV

I laughed internally as Nick walked out from the door. She can't really take a joke. The fact that she actually walked away from me prooves that she really liked this girl.

"So... Em... is it?" i asked as I circled around her as if I'm checking her. Looking at the girl, she was beyond gorgeous. My little sister sure know how to pick a woman. "What's holding you back? It's not like my sister's not a good catch."

"I don't deserve her." She said without moving from her spot.

"That's bull. There's no such thing. Love is love." I said. "Was it the money?" She didn't reply and based on her reaction I was partly right. Or was she giving a great act. I have a pretty good skills in reading people. It's part of my training as the next CEO of our company.

"Yes." She finally admitted. "I don't want to be labeled as gold digger and " she paused a little, I knew there's more to it but she opted to keep it to herself. "and that's all."

"And how do I know you're not acting hard to get?" I pushed.

"You can't" Then I noticed that she started to shake, her breathe becoming short while her hand was on her chest. I might have pushed too hard.

"Hey... hey... I'm just testing you. Come on sit down." I guided her to the chair. "In all honesty, we don't really care if you're poor or rich. If you can make my sister happy then I'm happy." I assured her.

"I like your sister a lot. She's very kind, gentle and sweet... she has all the qualities that a girl could asked for." She started. I took a bottle of mineral water from the fridge and gave it to her. "But I don't deserve her... I'm... " She drank directly from the bottle before she gave her final word that kept me puzzled. "I'm dirty."

Nicoles's POV

What the hell am I thinking walking away leaving Emilia at the hand of my sister? I'm such a fool! And I only realized it when I'm already at least six blocks away. Stupid, stupid me.

To add insult to injury, I didn't bring anything. I have no wallet, id or keys. I can be shot dead in this very alley and nothing could be used to identify me. I'll be a Jane Doe and will probably be donated at some science school for research.

"Fuck! I'm so screwed up. I shouldn't have let Natalie pushed my buttons." But knowing my sister, I knew she wouldn't dare make a move at Em. I knew her type, she prefer older women. She was forced to come out when she was in junior year when she got caught having sex with her female science teacher who was at least a decade older than her. Poor teacher was jailed for statutory rape.

I then decided to come home since I was really tired from our little date. Em, Maddy and I. We had so much fun. It made me think life ahead of me. Will I be a good mother? I'm not fond to tiny humans, all they do was cry and cry and poop. But ever since Maddy came into my life, my preference changed. But hell no, I'm not going to carry it. Would Em carry my baby? I really can't imagine life without her.

As I walked towards the house, sirens were heard even from miles away. Then police, ambulance, and fire fighters passed by. I looked around and saw a huge ball of light from the other side of the city up towards the hill side. I knew that place. It was owned by the Grecko family, one of the most influential families in the city.

I decided to walk away, it's not my business.

And as passed one alley, I heard a faint footsteps and cry. My curiousity had gotten into me so I took a peak. "Hello?" There was no reply. "Is someone in here?" I asked again. I shrugged if off thinking I was just imagining things.

But then there was a cry.

The sound of an infant cry.

I ran towards the sound and there I saw lady, barely alive. The flickering light from the nearby lamp as well as the moon was the only source of light but I still saw it. Her white nurse uniform was drenched with blood. "Help." She said in a faint voice as the infant kept on crying. "Please help her." She begged.

"Stay still... I'll call the police." i replied. But she insisted.

"There's no time... they're looking for her... please you got to help her." She used her last bit to strenght in order to pushed the infant to me. I do not know what kind of magic she does to me that I was compelled to take the child. "Help her." Then there were more footsteps from a far and faint voices. "They are here... please run!"

"Over hear! I hear cries." Then the footsteps came nearer. The infant crying wasn't helping the situation.

"Run! Please! Run!" She begged as she took her last breathe.

Fear and panic overcame me as I held the crying infant at my arms. She was so small. I got into a fight a lot but I knew that this was the fight that I needed to avoid. I took the one best solution.

I ran.

I ran with the child crying in my arms.

I ran without looking back and blended with the crowd.