Chapter Twenty: Mutation

Three and Half Monthes After Event:

     "Do you smell'em Bob" Grant asked as the young fox sniffed the air.

  Grant lifted the helment off his head to take a better look around. A slight breeze immediately cooled his sweety hair and face. He'd found the helment and some armor in a statue like action figure. The action figure sat on a shelf with others in the room of an obvious comic book fan. He'd scored a breast plate, gauntlets, shield, and a black cloak from the trekys room. It had been a good day that day. He'd tried out a scale size metal sword but it had been flimsy and nothing compared in strength to his scissor blade sword. The armor and cloak added to him a anonymous and terrifying persona. This helped him strike fear into the hearts of the local gangs raiding the country side. Some didn't even stand and fight anymore they just ran at the first sight of him.

  It was these very gangs he was hunting right now. He'd persuaded a former member of the gang to reveal the location of the gangs operation. He thought he was close now as he approached an old factory. He walked up to an old oak tree just outside the chainlink fence running the perimeter of the factory. "I'm going up to get a better veiw" he told the fox. Bob immediately lay flat of his belly up against the tree intently watching in the direction of the factory. Grant still didn't know how but the fox could understand most of everything he said to it.

  Grant began climbing the oak tree using the crevices in the bark for hand and foot holds. His stamina had increased exponentially over the last few months or so. Actually everything about him was changing. His senses had went into overdrive lately. His hearing, sense of smell, even taste, touch, and sight had heightened. He suspected that whatever had caused the spontaneous shrinking, and later on strengthening had something to do with it. It had made his genetic makeup malleable in away, able to be shaped and manipulated by the things around him. The ants blood, he'd squashed as it bit him, must have intermingled with his in the blood stream as it entered through the bite wound. This had been what had caused his gain in strength. Bob and Grant had been in their fair share of fights lately. They had both been cut up and bruised, and there had been plenty of chances for their blood to intermingle. This is what he suspected had caused his senses to heighten. It may also be the reason that the fox presented a heightened form of intelligence lately.

  As he came to the trees midway point he gazed out across the terrain below. He could see a good ways from up here. He thought he spotted movement at a roll up door near the end of the building.

   As he watched the entry to the factory his senses began to pick up noise, and smells from above him. He listened to the sound of claws scratching on bark. He could smell a funny smell that seemed to represent fear in his mind, and the a strong smell of nuts. He figured it was a squrril as he gazed upwards to see where it was. To his suprise a very human face staired back at him. He only got a very brief glimpse as whatever the thing was darted back behind the tree trunk. He heard it as it climbed up the backside of the oaktree. It suddenly dawned on him that it might just be some sentry they had posted in the top of the tree. That person might be heading to send a signal right this minute. He began climbing up the tree as fast as he could.

  Just as he began to reach the top he saw a tree limb move, suddenly something launched towards him. It tackled him sending him flying backwards off the limb he had been resting on. Fear gripped his stomach as he began freefalling. Grant began snatching at the air hoping to catch hold of a limb or something to break his fall.

  A flash of fur barelled at Grant snatching him from the air and landing with him in its grip on a low lying limb. "Thought you were a gonner for a second there my hefty friend" an excited voice chattered. "Lets go down and meet your fox friend why don't we, you just make sure he don't eat me ya hear" the energetic voice said as Grant again felt himself free falling, yet still in the firm grip of his rescuer.

  They landed hard but whoever had him was still standing flat footed as he sat Grant down.

  Grant was still a little dazed, his vision was still spinning. He finally focused on the feet in front of him, immediately noticing their abnormality. Before him stood a pair of furry human like feet. Long curved claws protruded from the toes. As he gazed up to take in the rest of his rescuers appearance.

  Whatever, whoever it was still was still clothed. The exposed body parts were covered in the same brownish fur as the feet. Something brushed against his arm, as he glanced down to see what it was he was surprised to see a bushy squirrel tail sitting beside him. He realized with a start that it was connected to the person in front of him. "What...impossible...your a talking squirrel?!" He exclaimed. " Not quit my friend, that'll do for telling latter" the voice said as Grant looked up into an all to human face that was covered in fur.

  "I know kinda freaks you out doesn't it. Everyone I've approached it seems runs screaming away. That's why me and the families been hiddin away in that tree there" the furry face said. "You can call me Ray. Pleased to make your acquaintance" it said again. "Graydon Grant, but everyone just calls me Grant. Thanks for saving me Ray. I don't meen to sound so forward but what's wrong with you how did this happen to you?" Grant finished. "Not quite sure, but I think it had something to do with those mists several months back" Ray stated. "Most people just.." "Shrank. I know I did to at first, this happened about a month later" Ray finished as he referred to his appearance. "How?" Grant questioned. "Family and I had to wade through a shallow puddle, more like a pond at this size, to escape some ants. It was an unnatural color of green just like the mists. Shortly after our son found a pair of squirrels nesting in a hollow of a tree. We thought they'd kill him but some how he was able to approach them. They stayed by our side after that and gradually we began to see this strange change in our physiology" Ray explained to Grant. Grant knew of his connection with the fox and also thought back to all the physical changes he'd went through since taking up with his fox Bob.

   There was a flash of red fur out of the corner of Grants eye. Before he could stop him Bob rushed Ray trying to pin him down. Ray was to quick though, he'd jumped upon the fox's back and had a firm grip on his mane. The fox tried shaking him off but it done no good, Ray wasn't going anywhere." Whoa, Bob, stop it's alright he's a friend" Grant tried to calm the fox. Bob stopped struggling and allowed Ray to climb down.

  " That's a lively pet you have there" Ray commented. "Yeah, he comes in handy out here finding survivors, and fighting the gangs and raiders who run loose on the country side" Grant said. "Ah yes those fellers, their quite a bunch aren't they, feeding people to their cats and abusing all those women they bring back" Ray said. "You mean you've seen them here?' Grant questioned. "Yep in and out every day or so, and always with plenty of captives" said Ray answering Grant. "They were who I was looking for when I climbed that big oak of yours" Grant told Ray. "I've heard they keep the women alive and that's were their kept. Do you know if they keep their prisoners alive or not?" Grant questioned. "Some but that's only if they survive the cruel treatment the men put them through" Ray said angrily. "There has been nothing I can do to stop them, but I have been taking them food and water at night when I can" Ray told Grant. "You've been in there? You've actually seen and talked to the women?" Grant questioned."Yes it's sad to see them in the condition their in, and there has been nothing I can do to get them out. They are women you and I would have passed on the sidewalk or in a store just months back. Mothers, daughters, rich, poor, there is even a bio chemist in there a smart young woman reduced to slavery. It makes me angry!" Ray said with fury in his voice, shaking all over. "Maybe there is something I can do" Grant said."Can you get me in there without anyone knowing?" Grant asked. "It depends" Ray stated. "On what?"Grant asked. "Are you affraid of heights?" Ray questioned back.