| Prologue |

- Prologue -
Kaname Kuran

I stare at the snowflake almost fondly as it melts on my bare hand; so pure and so easily destroyed.

"White snow." I say, absentmindedly.

"What is white? What is snow?" I look away from my hand in confusion as the strange voice comes out of nowhere.

"It's something that is not red." My eyes continue to scan my surroundings, hindered only slightly by the snowstorm. In an attempt to satisfy my curiosity, I keep talking.

"So... What is red?"

My eyes finally land on the small figure of a little girl and I begin to take a step towards her. I'm cold, I realise as I begin to violently shiver, and she looks so warm.

I'm only wearing a pastel sundress, which barely offers any protection from the storm that only seems to be getting more and more violent. As I stumble towards the stranger, I reach for her warmth.

"Are you lost, little girl?" It's voice is deep and raspy, and I can't help but gasp as I see the creature's eyes.

"That's-" A cloaked figure approaches the girl, cutting my explanation short.

"I want your blood!" With a screech, it lunges for her small form. I let my hand drop to my side as my eyes turn cold.

There was no hope for her now.

"A beast in human form, who drinks the blood of humans." My voice sounded strange, even to me.

The creature was about to sink it's fangs into her when a hand pierced it's head, reducing it to ash.

"A disgrace to all vampires."

I take in the sight of the snow as it bleeds crimson. Her saviour takes her hand, neither of them sparing me a glance as they disappear in the storm.

I feel my consciousness begin to fade as two words slip from my frozen lips.

"Kaname Kuran."