Chapter 38

Two weeks later, on Monday, Sterling willingly admitted the landslide that had prevented him from returning home was a blessing. Now when he returned from work, it was to the welcoming arms of Dottie. After dinner, they spent hours telling stories and reminiscing while gazing at the stars.

Growing up and spending practically every day together didn't come close to the joy he found by being with her, knowing she loved him, and that she, at last, knew he loved her.

He counted down the remaining days until she would be free for him to ask for her hand in marriage, grateful she was the last person he saw before sleep and the first when he awoke. He would take what he could get, and he would savor the sweet moments they were able to spend with one another.

Even Elliot brought more joy to his days than he would have ever thought possible. He was a cheerful baby, rarely crying unless hungry or needing to be changed, and even then, the crying didn't last long.

He was indeed blessed with the best qualities of his parents in both looks and disposition. Sterling's love for the little boy grew every day. He often looked for any excuse to hold him and shower him with affection.

Friday that week came, and the windows for the new house arrived. Mike Tanner drove the wagon loaded with supplies for the home and Sterling rode shotgun, looking forward to the excitement his news would bring to Dottie and Louisa.

Over the past week, Sterlng worked on the house after work—all to keep his promise they'd soon be in their home.

And the house was quickly coming underway; the last few necessities ordered, and with the windows making their appearance, Dottie and Louisa could be living in their new home within three months.

Once Mike brought the wagon to a stop in front of the new home, they set about unloading the windows. Carrying each window into the house, they placed them in what would be the main parlor, making sure they remained protected until they were able to install them the next day.

After double-checking the house to ensure everything was coming along according to schedule, Sterling and Mike headed back out to the waiting wagon team.

Mike had always been a soft-spoken man, which seemed to fit his nondescript build, but it didn't take long to see he was anything but timid. Loyal to a fault and more than willing to give his all at anything asked of him, Mike quickly became indispensable to Sterling in making sure the warehouse ran efficiently.

With a promise he and several other men would arrive early in the morning to help install the windows, Mike climbed back up into the wagon and released the brake. He snapped the lines and urged the team into a wide turn to bring the wagon around and head out to the main road.

The heat of the day was beginning to dissipate, and a warm breeze stirred the loose hair at his nape when Sterling turned and saw Louisa at the trivet, removing the cooking pot from the fire. Dottie laid the necessary dishes for dinner on the table, looked up, and smiled. "Dinner's almost ready."

Sterling grinned and walked over, "I've missed-"

In the next instant, Elliot's pain-filled cry rent the air and had all three adults running for the barn. Louisa dropped the pot she'd been carrying to the table.

Elliot's tremulous cries continued and made Sterling's ears ring. Dottie was the first to reach Elliot and quickly had him in her arms.

Sterling came up behind her and gazed down at Elliot's beet-red face. His cries grew more frenzied than before; tears poured down his tiny face, and soon he was gasping for breath, his tiny mouth turning blue from the force of his screams.