Prologue

All the children in this world grow up. No child could ever escape this wicked curse.

All but the exception of one.

❦ ❧❦ ❧❦ ❧❦ ❧❦ ❧❦ ❧❦ ❧❦ ❧❦❧❦

I guess you wouldn't believe me if I said that I went to Neverland. Explored the mysterious island with the Lost Boys. Soared into the air alongside Tinker Bell. Swam in the ocean with the mermaids. Danced around a campfire with the Indians. Clashed swords against Captain Hook. Held hands with Peter Pan...

Though that's alright; no one would believe me anyway. But with a little faith, trust, and pixie dust, I can assure that you, yes, YOU, could be the next person to visit this magical land, this Neverland.

If you don't mind me telling you this story, then I shall begin.

❦ ❧❦ ❧❦ ❧❦ ❧❦ ❧❦ ❧❦ ❧❦ ❧❦❧❦

It all started at the stroke of midnight, when the long needle on Big Ben hit twelve.

Well, not ALL started, but we will get to that later.

I was awake, of course, with a novel by J.M. Barrie in hand. A small candle besides me was casting it's light against my book, making tiny shadows dance across the sheets of my bed. A sigh escaped my mouth as the climax of the book left me in awe; the protagonist defeating the antagonist.

Towards the end of the chapter, I heard a rustle from outside my closed window. I placed my bookmark on the page I was on, and opened my window, glancing around from the second story of my house.

A small, dim light shone at the corner of my eye, and I looked up into the night sky. The stars in the sky shone almost as bright as the sun on an early morning. I clasped my hands together, and wished for one thing, and one thing only.

"I want to never grow up," I said, my eyes locked onto that star. My heart pleaded and begged, not wanting to become an adult as another year passes by.

As Big Ben's song rang into the air, I closed my eyes, desperately wishing as a child would when throwing a coin into a fountain. While I continued to desire and dream about never growing up, I felt fingers interlock with mine. I peered from beneath my lashes, and a pair of amber eyes stared into my own.

"Hello," I murmured, gently squeezing the hand that was grasping mine. "It's great to finally meet you."

"Hello," He whispered, not removing his gaze from my own, and gave a light chuckle, "I wish I could say the same."

An awkward silence settled between the both of us, and after a few minutes we both quietly laughed to break the difficult situation.

"I think you already know what my name is," I said, having decided to start a conversation. He gave a nod in reply. "Well," I continued, "What is your name?"

His fingers separated from mine, and he jumped and spun across the air. I clapped quietly in amazement. He stopped dancing, turned around, floated closer to me, and spoke with a tone as bright as the stars, "My name is Peter. Peter Pan."