How To Irritate A Pirate: Pirate/Romance Stories

This is only a bit of fun but feel free to add anymore suggestions to my list. It's kind of like a rant book but I dunno yet. Feel free to suggest things that annoy you, e.g. to do with writing/wattpad/life/fantasy stereotypes anything you like! So here we go with the first few. Title is self explanatory and this is mainly made up of my views so if you don't like them well tough meat. Enjoy!

Cap'n

1. Pirate/Romance Stories

As much as I love reading about pirates and piracy in general, I've found that most people focus on the romance element of the stories and forget the fact that they are talking about pirates who usually drink and fight and cause trouble, not ones who read sonnets to women to confess their love for them and forget all their piratey ways! It just like a Bad Boy Gone Good story while also ruining the beloved badass ways of piracy! Sorry, but no! If you are going to write a pirate story or a story which includes pirates, you need to have some sort of action and violence included and no a freaking pillow fight doesn't count. Not all writer's do this, I am only talking about the majority of pirate stories that I've read, some are actually unbelievable and have a good balance of both action and romance. Which is really good. No I'm not really a romance fan, but I don't mind if romance comes into it later on after at least a little of the piracy. They're pirates for crying out loud!!

Not only that but if you are even writing a PR (pirate romance) you can't just jump from prisoner to friend to wife in one chapter! Granted no book I've read does that, they take at least two but come on! At least be a little realistic!

If it does have a bit romance in it then that's OK but if your gonna make it R rated you have to warn people! There as been so many stories when even after you have tolerated going through all the romancey lovey dovey stuff and you get to the next chapter and boom they drop a massive sexual filled cannonball on your head! I don't want to be reading all of that.... stuff, yes OK some people do but I've had enough of it in science class thanks very much. If you are gonna write that stuff, please at least put a warning on it. Here's an example:

WARNING ALERT! MASSIVE SEXUAL CONTENT WHICH MAKES 50 SHADES OF GREY LOOK LIKE A HARMLESS KIDS BOOK! DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR BRAIN SCARRED FOR LIFE AND YOUR EYES BURNED WITH THE HOSTILITIES OF IT ALL!

I think you get the picture.

If you are going to write a pirate story, I'd suggest to think about these things.

1. Balance Of Content

Do you really want to be remembered/known as someone who wrote an R rated pirate story? Yes it may get you noticed but do you really wanna be remembered for that? If you are going to write a pirate story I'd suggest you think about your audience, how much romance you want to add, how much is too much romance until it either puts people off, overwhelms the reader or counterbalances the action side of things. Do the same for the action part of things.

2. Research

Some really good pirate writers research The Pirate Age before writing, bearing in mind piracy is in our history after all. This is a good idea but decide for yourself how much research you want to do and plan when you want to actually start writing the story and what it's gonna focus on. I'd suggest writing something new, unique and original, yes pirate/romance has been done a lot but try and add a twist into your plotline to mix it up a bit. And remember, not all Pirate/Pirate Captain's are guys!! Lot's of people seem to forget that women did disguise themselves as men to become pirates. Piracy did in fact happen, so your story needs to be realistic and somewhat believable.

3. Inspiration

Find inspiration for this story, whether it's researching, watching movies, listening to music (I created a piratey playlist in the link if you wanna check it out) or even reading other people's work and asking them for advice. Find inspiration, you write quicker. Don't write a story which doesn't suit your genre, the only way to figure that out is to try all of them out and see which suits you best!

If you have any good piratey reads for me (which doesn't include the bad points I ranted about), feel free to mention them in the comments below, along with what you want my next rant to be.

See ya next time!

Cap'n