Epilogue

Maliha's fingers drummed along her thigh as she waited anxiously for the women to finish what they were doing.

"Stop fidgeting," snapped Ciur.

"I wouldn't be so fidgety if you were not tugging at my head so harshly," Maliha growled back, earning snickers from the other women and a slight tug of her hair.

"Stop being so churlish, she's almost done," teased Nahi as she reclined on the ground, sipping on her alcoholic drink. Nahi was enjoying her moment without her twins who were at the age where they were attempting to crawl everywhere and getting into all types of mischief.

"Is this all necessary?" Maliha huffed. Her hand climbed up to her hair so she could feel how far along they were in styling her hair. "Ouch," she growled when Ciur slapped her fingers with the comb.

"Don't touch. It seems that Ujarak's impatience has begun to rub off on you."

"Speaking of the man," Xiuri snickered as the door to the tent flapped open and Ujarak popped his head in.

"How much longer?" His handsome clean-shaven face and his smooth body were smothered in the ceremonial mixture of clay and oil. The golden hues of the mixture offset the dark strands of his billowing hair.

"Checking on us every five minutes will not make this process any faster," reprimanded Ciur.

"Well, I don't understand why you need to do all those tiny braids in her hair. She was fine as she was. Come Maliha, let's go." Uja reached for Maliha but his hand was slapped away by Ciur's comb causing everyone to cackle at his shocked expression.

"I have two more braids to do and I won't be deterred. Go wait outside with the rest of your family." Ciur was a force to be reckoned with when she made demands and Uja was in no mood to argue with the fiery woman.

"Fine, but the next time I enter this tent, I am taking Maliha with me and the ceremony is starting whether her hair is done or not." Ujarak stomped to Maliha and gave her a soft kiss on her forehead before stomping back out of the tent.

"He is so dramatic." Maliha giggled dreamily as she rubbed on her burgeoning stomach in deep thought.

The past few months had been some of the most blissful days of her life. Their return to the Der Surjaz land had been bittersweet but the Nah Barros had kept their promises and slowly but surely their communication with the outer world was increasing. Returning home and being welcomed so openly was one of the best moments of Maliha's life. Barring the moment, she found her father and the minute she discovered she was pregnant and had been since before she fled the Der Surjaz land.

"Have you felt any movement yet?" Xiuri whispered as she stroked her belly.

"I think it's still too early to feel kicks, but I can feel tiny flutters," Maliha smiled wistfully.

"Enjoy those moments, because soon you will be up all night with the abuse of your young ones."

"Yes," added Nahi, "sleep becomes a myth the moment they grace this earth so sleep as much as you can. Especially with twins."

Nahi gave Maliha a knowing look. Although it could not be confirmed yet, everyone suspected Maliha was carrying two children as she was carrying exceedingly big for only being a few months along.

"Alright, all done. Xiuri you can finish the rest now."

Xiuri wobbled to a stand and gathered the crown from her sister before interweaving the flowers into Maliha's hair in an intricate pattern. "Perfect. Now let's start applying the oil and clay before Ujarak has another fit."