Compass

Enzo's arms swung wide as he sung a happy tune. His feet crunching down on the forest floor as he skipped ahead of Maliha and Nkechi. Every so often, he became too loud or travelled too far out of Maliha's eyesight and she had to call him back or tell him to be quiet.

Enzo was oblivious to the dangers that surrounded them now that they had a predator at their side. His childish innocence was both a gift and a curse and yet Maliha would never wish him to be any different. Enzo was slowly morphing into a carefree child and though now wasn't the time to be careless, Maliha couldn't begrudge him that pleasure.

"Enzo is a special child, isn't he?"

"Yes," Maliha smiled softly, taking in Enzo's giggling form.

When Maliha had first met Enzo, she had seen something in Enzo, but she hadn't known what it was. As she had gotten to know him, Maliha realised that it was the look in his eyes that had drawn her to him. Enzo had the look of a child who craved love and acceptance. She had glimpsed that same hungry look in her eyes when she had been growing up.

Enzo reminded Maliha of her younger self. The only difference was that Enzo would not have the same hang-ups that she did as an adult. He would be so much more. With the gentle handling of Makula, Maliha and Darsan, Enzo had begun to speak up and bask in the female new familial relationships of a mother, grandmother and sister. Under the masculine influence of Ray'et, Kamir and Ujarak, Enzo had begun to find self-value. But what was most important to Maliha, was that amongst his new formed friends he had learnt how to be a child. Enzo had learnt how to play and fall without the fear that his new family would withdraw their love.

"I know you feel that you have stolen something from him, but Enzo has a mind of his own that often conflicts with your own wishes."

"I know that, but I didn't want this for him," Maliha groused, plucking at a leaf.

"Sometimes it is not our choice to make. Sometimes we have to trust the powers that be, to guide us to our true destinations. Enzo was meant to be here with you and that is a fact."

Maliha bit her tongue to hold back her rebuke. It was hard to trust in a deity who had only ever seen Maliha suffer.

"I know it is hard to trust in a being who has never gifted you with an easy path, but we are often tested to only make our souls stronger. We must-"

Nkechi's words cut off mid-sentence as her ears perked up. Her head whipped around erratically as she trod carefully through the forest.

Maliha picked up on her cautiousness and bounded after Enzo. Maliha's feet thudded into the earth as lightly as she could make them, but the sound was not her main thought. No, Maliha's focus was getting to an oblivious Enzo who had started whistling a new tune.

As Maliha approached him, she wrapped her arms around his waist and clapped her hand over his mouth. His body went rigid and his arms splayed wide as if he would fight her but a signal from Nkechi had him relaxing.

"Shh," Maliha whispered as she dragged him towards a thick tree that was shrouded in bushes.

Her back thudded against the tree as she slowly released her hold over Enzo's mouth. Maliha spun him to face her and gestured for him to be quiet and remain still. Maliha peered over her shoulder and spotted the noise that had Nkechi worried. There was a small convoy of men.

Maliha squinted to get a better look and the moment she did she felt her heart dropping to her stomach.

"Up the tree."

Enzo read the urgency in her tone and followed suit, crawling on his knees to the tree that Nkechi hid behind.

Maliha peered over the tree again and noticed that the convoy was slowly approaching the area in which they were standing. Her hands shook as she waited until Enzo was obscured by the large leaves of the tree before following his actions and slowly climbing into the thick foliage of the tree. Nkechi was the last to follow suit and had just disappeared into the large leaves when the convoy of men broke through the forest.