A Father's Words

Maliha's eyelids subconsciously slid closed as she savoured the husky timbre of Ujarak's self-depreciating laugh. It had been such a long time since she had heard him laugh but even the sweet sound could not drown out the lingering pain that his cruel words had left behind. As if sensing her change of thoughts, Ujarak reached out to stroke her cheek.

"Food has been the last thing on my mind," he chuckled dryly.

"Well what has been on your mind?" Maliha muttered. She felt awkward under the flickering eyes of all the inquisitive people that tried to subtly watch their interaction. Maliha stared down at her fingers, plucking at them in deep concentration.

Ujarak's thick rough finger lifted her chin until she was piercing into those eyes that had always made her feel so much emotion, both good and bad.

"You, maliha. You and Enzo have been all that was on my mind these past weeks. I have been plagued with thoughts of you and whether you were both alive..." His voice cracked, and tears welled in his eyes. The emotion there in every pore of his being. "I was scared that I had lost my only chance at having true love."

His emotions were so raw, so real that Maliha felt herself being sucked into his words and feelings. How could she turn away this man when he was all she had wanted but the more she stared at him, the more her mind was clouded by all of his previous words and how they had torn her to pieces. Obliterated her heart.

How could she trust anything he said to her?

"What did you say?" he snivelled, staring at her quizzically.

Maliha licked her dry lips as she stared at him apathetically. "I said your love seems to be very fickle Ujarak. I only have your love when you want to make up for a wrong." She shook out of his hold, her eyes hardening as she stared at the man before her. His appearance suggested that her absence genuinely affected him, but his actions had placed too much doubt for Maliha to see his love as anything but what it was.

"You wield your love like a weapon and I was too love starved to notice it before, but I see it now. Your idea of love is tainted but the past that you have always struggled to let go of."

Lost, lost was the only way she could describe Ujarak's expression. Lost and confused but what had he truly expected, that he would come and give her a few love words and she would forgive him. She had forgiven him time and time again and it had gotten her nowhere but hurt. This time around a few insipid words were not enough. She needed more, Maliha deserved more.

"I appreciate you coming her to find us, but I think this separation is-

"Maliha." The wave of anger and frustration that she had been preparing to dose Ujarak with instantly disappeared as the familiar figures pushed their way through the crowd.

"Xiuri, Kamir!" she cried, pulling them both into rough hugs and squeezing them tight. She yanked her body away when she felt the hardening of Xiuri's stomach. "Xiuri, are you? -"

"Yes," Xiuri cried. "Kamir didn't want to let me travel in my condition and even I was a bit scared after everything but once I heard what Ujarak said to you, I knew had to take the risk. I wasn't sure if I would ever see you again otherwise." Xiuri spat over her shoulder when she mentioned her leaders name. Shooting the disheartened man, a glare.

Kamir gently rubbed Xiuri's shoulder as he shot an apologetic glance at Ujarak's retreating form before pushing his leader and friend to the back of his mind. "I'm so glad we found you, and where is Enzo?"

As if hearing his name, Enzo came barrelling through the lingering crowd and charged straight for Kamir's legs. His small arms wrapped tight around the man as he called his excitement. Kamir chuckled loudly, as he pulled Enzo into his arms, messing up his hair as he took in the small changes.