Lyall Hound- Yule

Soon, we had finished skinning the deer. After chopping up, cleaning the carcass and a bit of spices thanks to Yule, who found a patch of what she needed, we got the deer roasting.

After supper, we decided to settle down for the night. It wasn't easy convincing Thom to sleep on the ground, and just when my fingers had reached the knife on my belt, Yule convinced the boy to sleep on top of several leaves. I nodded "thank you" at Yule just as Thom closed his eyes, and Yule grinned at me. I have to admit; her smile didn't look awful and actually looked nice.

Unlike Thom, James didn't complain about the sleeping situation. He settled on the ground, his back leaning on a tree trunk. I suddenly wondered if James is a hunter. He certainly looked like one I came across several years ago, and his mannerisms seemed like the perfect hunting partner's. I suddenly remembered he worked in the printing press. I thought that was quite a disappointment. James should've been a hunter.

Yule settled down beside her brother quietly, clutching her toothbrush. I wondered why she bothered bringing it, since we barely have enough water to drink. But I guess the toothbrush has some other use I do not know. Yet.

Aside from the toothbrush, Yule also brought the fox pelt. To be honest, that thought made my ears go red, though I don't really know why.

The moon shone brightly through the night, its dappled beams were enough to light up the fog, allowing me to see the surroundings clear enough. While the others slept, I take it as my responsibility to make sure we're safe.

Maybe I lied. So I lied. I stayed up not because I wanted to guard them. It's because I can't sleep.

I've slept in the forest twice before: once, when I got lost, and the second time was when part of the cabin burned down and the family was forced to sleep near the forest as my father repaired the house all night long. So this is already my third time. But somehow, I'm still uncomfortable.

I don't know why. Or maybe I do. It's probably because I'm staying with other people. When I was finally alone, with no one else but Shiv, I got used to the idea of sleeping alone in the cabin with a falcon to go to when I have nightmares. I guess seeing people sleeping only a few meters from me sort of got me awry.

"Lyall?"

I shivered when I heard the voice, not because it's cold, but rather because it's dripping with friendliness and warmth. Something I'm not used to.

I cocked my head slightly and saw Yule staring at me, her brown eyes resembling a doe's more than ever with the forest behind her.

When I didn't answer, Yule stood up timidly, and sat beside me. I was suddenly aware of how close she is, her elbow touching mine, the fox pelt around her shoulders tickling the side of my neck slightly. I felt nervous, my heart beating wildly, mind unsure what to do. She is too close.

Yule didn't seem to notice my discomfort, or the fact I moved a few inches from her. Or she ignored it.

"Thanks for saving us," she said softly.

I didn't know what to say. A lot of people had said thanks to me, but I've never heard a thank you that actually sounded genuine. I think its fair I reply with something genuine too.

"It's nothing. You're worth saving anyway." I didn't mean anything else in my words. I hope Yule didn't think of me like that. Luckily, her next answer said she didn't seem to notice it, but it was much worse.

"You saved me twice already."

She didn't happy with that fact, and somehow, I said, "that wasn't a chore for me. And besides, I've saved Thom Grant's life more time than I can count."

That earned a laugh from her. "How did you save him, exactly?" she asked, her eyes twinkling like a cat's.

"Saved his stomach from hunger," I couldn't hold back a grin, thinking of the many times I brought food to his family.

We were quiet again before she said, "Can't sleep?"

I decided to be honest. Yule seems trustworthy enough. "Yep."

"Why?"

"Cold," I lied, realizing Yule isn't some living diary I spill my thoughts too. That's too risky.

Somehow, she caught on with my lie. "You're lying; it's not so cold. Let me guess: you don't feel comfy with so much people around you." She smiled, and then suddenly looked self-conscious. I realized she was basically leaning on me, and that thought made my ears turn red. She leaned away, her face as red as a tomato.

I tried to lighten the atmosphere a bit. "You and James...you look like copies of each other." I indicated her twin's face. His mouth was open, and drool was sliding down his mouth slowly. I couldn't hold back a chuckle. Yule laughed rather loudly.

"I promise," She said, "I would never drool like that. But yeah, we look alike. Most siblings look alike."

"I and my brother look alike too."

The words slipped out before I could stop them.

Yule's eyes were wide. "You have a brother?"