Before I Go

"So Alaric is trying to pull himself together. Why is that a bad thing?" Caroline asked as her, Elena and I walked through the high-school gym we were decorating.

"I just—I wish there was something I could do." Elena replied as we stopped beside a table with a chandelier on it. "Where do you want me to hang this thing?" She added, picking it up and Caroline rolled her eyes and looked down at the clipboard she held.

"You know what, if Rebekah wanted to hang this monstrosity, she should have shown up to do it herself." Caroline stated in annoyance and I folded my arms over my chest at her. "Just—no." She added, rolling her eyes at it before she gave it to a girl who was helping out with the dance committee. Caroline looked over at Matt and Jeremy who were standing on a ladder and hanging stars from the ceiling. "What are you doing? You can't just hang them!" Care stated in frustration at the two and I rose an eyebrow. "They're supposed to trickle down." She added and I watched as the boys laughed amongst themselves, mocking her. "Look at them all bromancey." Caroline said with a small smile and I smiled too.

"Yeah, I asked Matt to help Jeremy readjust. He got him his old job back at the Grill." I pointed out in amusement as Elena and I sorted out silverware on the table.

"Well, that was nice of him." Caroline replied, her voice getting higher as if she wasn't sure what to think of that.

"Jeremy's got a lot on his mind. The whole thing with Alaric has got him really stressed out." Elena pointed out with a sigh as we all watched Jeremy and Matt again.

"You sure it has nothing to do with seeing Mariana and Damon getting hot and heavy in a skeevy motel?" Caroline countered in amusement and I rolled my eyes as her white Elena smirked at me.

"I didn't tell you that so you could torture me with it." I stated in annoyance and Caroline grabbed a pile of napkins.

"Ah, what are friends for?" Care replied with a smile as Elena chuckled, grabbing a fuzzy boa from a box that sat on the table as well. "So, who are you bringing to the dance?" Caroline asked and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"What do you mean? I thought you, Bonnie, Elena and I were going as girl dates." I replied as Elena wrapped the boa around her neck and winked at Caroline who chuckled.

"Bonnie has a date." Caroline informed with a smile toward Elena and I tilted my head in confusion.

"What?" I asked, taken back and Caroline nodded in agreement.

"Jamie called and wanted to see her. So she asked him." She stated with a shrug and I rose an eyebrow at Elena.

"Jamie—Abby's stepson ordeal?" I asked and watched as Elena and Caroline nodded back at me.

"So, here's a thought. Why don't you ask Stefan?" Caroline asked in amusement as she looked at Elena with mischief in her eyes.

"I—I can't ask him on a date." Elena protested, furrowing her eyebrows as she put the boa back in the box.

"And why the hell not?" I countered and watched her open her mouth to protest but she rose an eyebrow and shut it again once she tried to think about it. "Exactly." I replied with a small smile and Caroline turned to me with a wicked smile.

"And you can ask Damon." Caroline suggested and I scoffed back in amusement. I was about to protest before my phone rang and I sighed, taking it out and chuckling.

"How convenient." I stated and looked at Elena and Caroline who furrowed their eyebrows at me before I pressed the green answer button. "Damon." I answered with a small sigh.

"Mariana." Damon replied in the same voice, mocking me and I smiled a bit. "You haven't had any contact with Alaric have you? You know—The one who tried to hack your beautiful face into pieces?" He asked sarcastically and I tilted my head.