Carnival Rides

Jenna, Jeremy, Elena and I quickly walked out of the door as my phone started to ring. I grabbed it and answered without looking down at the Caller I.D. "Hello?" I asked, closing the front door behind us.

"Mariana? Where are you?" Bonnie asked in a worried tone from the phone and I sighed, walking down the porch.

"Bonnie, I know. I'm running late but we're just getting in the car. I'll be there in five." I reassured as I walked to the car and opened my door. "Don't worry. I'll be there." I added with a small smile before I hung up and got in the car, closing the door behind me.
~~~

"Looks like the whole town has turned out." Jenna informed as we walked up to the Lockwood mansion and I slowly nodded in agreement at all of the people.

"Yeah well he is—he was the mayor.." Elena replied in defeat as she dug through her purse for her phone.

"Why don't they save it for the funeral?" Jeremy asked in annoyance as he held the goodie basket.

"It's what people do. The Lockwood's were here for us when we went through this. It'll be quick. We'll drop off the fruit, pay our respects and go." Jenna reassured him with a smile as we walked up the steps, seeing the front doors that were wide open.

"In and out? Sounds like a plan." Jeremy nodded back at her in agreement. I rose an eyebrow and looked to the side of the porch where Damon stood, staring at me with a glass of bourbon in hand.

"I'll, uh, catch up with you guys soon, okay?" I asked with a reassuring smile and looked over at them. Jenna nodded back at me before walking inside with Elena and Jeremy as I walked over to Damon. "Hey.. How are you doing?" I asked, raising my eyebrow at him.

"Great, Mariana. Walking on sunshine. Thanks for asking." Damon replied sarcastically, making me sigh at him.

"Damon.." I stated, looking over his face carefully but he rolled his eyes.

"Mariana.." He mimicked in the same time of voice back at me and I crossed my arms over my chest.

"We should be able to talk about this, Damon. We're close enough now, aren't we? I really want to know how you're doing." I pointed out and watched as he looked away from me and drank from his glass.

"I kissed you. I thought you kissed back. Doppelgänger hijinks ensued. How do you think I'm doing?" Damon asked emotionlessly as he looked down at me in skepticism.

"I think that you're hurt." I answered and tilted my head back at him.

"Mmm, oh. I don't get hurt, Mariana." Damon protested, smirking in response but I rolled my eyes.

"No, you don't admit that you get hurt. You get angry and cover it up and then do something stupid." I corrected with a small scoff before I looked away from him.

"You're scared." Damon informed, looking down at me with a small smirk and I furrowed my eyebrows. "You think Katherine's gonna send me off the deep end, don't you?—I don't need her for that." He stated, shaking his head in annoyance and walking past me, brushing against my shoulder as he did. "You know, why—why is it such a surprise that I would kiss you?" Damon asked and we turned back to each other. I stated back at him in silence, looking into his blue eyes before I sighed and looked away.

"Because I'm not Katherine." I answered emotionlessly and walked inside. I avoided the amount of people and moved down the halls curiously, trying to find a quiet room to drown my sorrows in. I walked into Mayor Lockwood's study that looked completely empty. I was about to close the doors behind me so no one else would come in, but I saw Tyler sitting on the couch across from me, drinking from a flask. "Hey.." I whispered, making him look up at me in confusion before his eyes softened. He looked back down at the flask in his hand and I sighed, turning around and closing the door behind me. "I-I'm sorry about your dad, Ty." I stated and turned back to him, watching him slowly nod and look back at me.