Epilogue

Mateo Torrez soon to be Emeterio

1:03 p.m.

I'm tearing up. I can't help it. They're not sad tears though at all. These are the happiest tears I think I've ever cried. I never even for a second thought this day would come. I look across the altar staring at Rufus. My face gets warmer, he smiles.

"Mateo." He takes a deep breathe, "I told you this when we met, I told you you wouldn't like the person I was." He looks up at me, "but I know that's not true now because I don't even think you're capable of disliking people." He laughs, "I used to think that the world was cruel and full of heartless people. When I met you I had already lost everything, but you showed me that there was still good in the world, you gave me a peace I hadn't felt in a long time and I'll never forget that." He starts tearing up, "You helped me become the person I wanted to be. I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you."

Great, now i'm crying more.

"Mateo Torrez." I look up, "Do you take Rufus Emeterio to be you lawfully wedded husband?" The officiant doesn't bother with the "In sickness and in health till death do you part" part speech for obvious reasons.

"I do."

He looks over at Rufus. "Rufus Emeterio, do you take Mateo Torrez to be your lawfully wedded husband?"

Rufus looks up at me blushing

"I do."

The officiant continues "Then by the power invested in me by the state of New York I pronounce you husband and husband, you may now kiss the groom"

Just like that I'm married, rufus grabs me and pulls me into a long, loving kiss. I can feel tears roll down my cheeks but I don't care. I all I care about is him.

People cheer, taking photos.