8

September 6, 2017

Rufus Emeterio

12:23 a.m.

I'm standing outside the building that my parents are supposably living in. It's not what I imagined but as long as they're in there I don't care if it's a damn cardboard box.

I walk up the steps and knock.

"Hold on!" A voice from inside yells, It's Olivia. They are here.

The door opens and man I've never seen so many emotions on a person's face, she looked happy but sad, guilty but grateful.

"Hey," I say quietly. "Long time no-" I'm cut off by her hugging me before I can even say anything else.

She's crying as she hugs me. She looks back up at me, she looks different from when I last saw her, like she aged a little. "Is it really you? Please say this isn't real, you shouldn't be here."

I nod my head "It's me, I'm here." I look down at my feet "Sorry."

"Don't apologize damnit, here, come inside. Mom and dad have missed you."

She drags me into the house, it looks similar to our old house but different in little ways, a different layout.

I stand in the living room while Olivia runs to get out parents. I can't believe I'm going to see them again.

Mom walks into the hallway rubbing her eyes, tiderdly she asks "Olivia what is it?"

Dad walks in. It looks like Olivia had to wake them up. "Yeah Olivia, what is it that's so important you had to wake us up this early?"

Olivia smiles and usher them into the living room where I am, "just hurry, he's waiting" Olivia says

"He? " Mom questions. "Olivia whats going on?"

All three of them walk into the room. When mom sees me she starts crying. She rushes over to me and hugs me, holding my face to her shoulder. Dad rushes over and joins in, they're both crying. I can't make out what they're saying over their sobbing.

"What happened? Why are you here? You shouldn't be here." Mom says.

"I was reckless..." I can feel tears forming in my eyes.

I'm dead and it was my fault. No. I was going to die anyway. But I was stupid and got myself killed. No. I was going to get killed either way, I was 17 and healthy, it wouldn't have been a natural death.

Was. I was 17. What am I now?