3

"Mom?" I shout into the house. I kick off my shoes and gesture for Luke to do the same.

I leave Luke at the door as I go into the kitchen, not seeing anything cooking on the stove and nothings been clean.

"I guess she isn't home." Luke pops up behind me. I jump a bit and put my hand over my heart.

"Luke, you scared me!" I smack him on the arm gently.

He just chuckles and look around the room, intently. I facepalm mentally at the state of the house, everything a mess as I had left it this morning. My mom usually atleast tries to tidy it.

"Washroom?" Luke asks awkwardly and I point at the stairs, going downstairs.

"Down there. I'll be upstairs. It's the room to the left." I shoo him off and turn away, heading up the stairs.

I hurry to shove my dirty laundry into my closet and fix the pulled off sheets on my bed. I wish I had gotten around to pulling off the ripped posters on the wall but I haven't had the heart, or weak mind to pull off what clues there might be. I don't have time to do it now.

I sit on my bed, playing on my phone until I realize it's been nearly twenty minutes Luke's been gone. I don't want to intrude but I hope he's okay.

I go downstairs and stop in my tracks.

"Luke?" I speak up. "What are you doing?"

He stops like a deer in headlights. He bits his lip and looks down to the ground at his feet for a minute.

"I like to know my surroundings incase of a fire." He said shamefully. "I didn't want to tell you so you wouldn't think I'm weird."

"Oh." I say simply but then let out an awkward laugh. "It's okay?"

"I found this, too..." He gives me a small slip of paper.

You seem so calm,

but watch your back.

Where's your mom?

She has something you lack.

Make a damn sound,

and I'll pull a few rounds.

"W-Where'd you find this?"

"On the toilet." He gives me a worried look.

I let out a shaky breathe and walk towards him. I hug him tightly, wishing I could cry but now's not the time. I need to be okay.

"We have some investigations to do, Luke."