Chapter 22 (Part 2)

*Aaron*

I wake to the sound of my phone ringing. I turn over on the couch, nearly falling off in the process. I reach over and grab my phone from the coffee table. I barely open my eyes to read Grace's name on the screen. Considering it's Christmas morning, this must be Sophie calling me. I force myself to sit up and try to look as awake as possible before answering the video call. Sophie pops up on my screen with a large smile on her face.

"Merry Christmas!" Sophie exclaims as soon as I answer. "Santa came, and he got me everything I wanted!" She continues excitedly.

"Good morning to you too, Sophie." I say. "Did you already open all your presents?"

"Mhm." She nods. "Wanna see?"

"Yeah!" I say as if that's a ridiculous question. "Show me the good stuff." I give her my full attention as she shows me her gifts and I try my best to comment on almost everything.

Suddenly, Victoria quietly walks into the room wearing her clothes from yesterday. I admit I'm somewhat disappointed she's not still wearing my clothes. She mouths "good morning" to me before sitting at the far end of the couch. Suddenly becoming conscious of my appearance, I run my hand through my hair a couple times as I try to make it seem less bedhead-like.

"Daddy, look." Sophie complains lightly to bring my attention back to her. "Mommy got me these glowy unicorn shoes." She hits her hand against the sparkly sneakers and lights dance around them. "She also got me a new doll. The one I wanted so Katie doll can have a sibling."

"Oh really?" I laugh a little. "And does Ms. Katie

know she's getting a sibling today?"

"No, it's a surprise. But I know she'll be happy because she's always wanted one."

"Oh, well then I'm happy she has a sibling now. Did you get anything else?"

"Yeah, Grandma and PopPop got me the bestest ones! They got me my own tablet and cellphone!"

"They what?!" I exclaim as my body moves by itself to jolt me up from the couch.

"They got me my own tablet and cellphone." She repeats. "Grandma says I can call her whenever and as much as I want to. I can even use the tablet as much as I want because it's mine."

"Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that." I say. "What did your mom say about it?"

"Mommy says she gets to hold on to them for now. I really want to play with them right now, but Mommy says no." She pouts.

"Hm, well I'll talk to her about it later."

"But I want to play with them now." She whines a little.

"Sophie, it's early and it's Christmas. You don't need to play with any electronics right now."

"Breakfast is ready!" Grace calls in the background.

"Go eat breakfast." I say. "I'll talk to you later, okay?"

"Okay." She says half-heartedly, obviously still disappointed about her tablet and cell situation.

"I love you."

"Love you too." She forces a small smile before ending the call.

I toss my phone on the couch and heave a deep sigh. I look over at Victoria who still sits quietly on the couch. I give her a small smile as I walk over and take her hand, pulling her from the couch.