Chapter 6 (Part 1)

Chapter 6

*Aaron*

I rush to Professor Nix's office, trying to make my deadline. Sophie struggles to keep up behind me. If I didn't have her tagging along I'd have been there by now, but strangely she didn't want to stay with Ms. Ginger.

"Daddy, slow down." Sophie whines as she begins to slow down even more. "I'm tired." I sigh as I pick her up and rush to Professor Nix's office.

I make it to his office with only two minutes to spare. He sits at his desk reading a paper. He looks up at me as I place my essay on his desk. He looks up at the clock above his door and smiles.

"Good job." He says. "I knew you could do it."

"Daddy, I'm hungry." Sophie complains. I put her down and she leans against my leg as she slowly builds up to her break down.

"Am I good to go now?" I ask, taking Sophie's hand. "I kind of have things to do." Professor Nix looks down at Sophie who now tugs my arm, trying to get me to move.

"Just a moment, It'll only take a minute to read and grade." I sigh as Professor Nix begins to read my essay.

"Daddy, let's go." Sophie whines as she continues to pull on my arm.

"Sophie!" I snap. "Quit the whining. Stand here and wait patiently, or there will be no dessert and you'll go to bed early. Understand?" Sophie's eyes tear up as her lower lip starts to tremble. Guilt immediately washes over me as a tear rolls down her cheek. It's rare for me to ever yell at her. She's a good girl and I always want to make her smile, while teaching and guiding her.

"Uh, A plus." Professor Nix says. "Great job. It's well written with no errors. And you managed to get it done with a five-year-old." He smiles.

"Yeah, thanks. Am I good to go now?"

"Yeah, just make sure to turn in the rest of your work on time. This essay proves you can be a father and a student."

"Yeah, okay." I take Sophie's hand and lead her to the door. She hangs her head as she keeps pace with me.

We grab food on the way home and Sophie brightens up a little as the waiter places a bowl of ice cream in front of her.

"Dessert!" She says, clapping her hands before digging in.

"I'm sorry that I yelled at you earlier." I apologize. "Daddy has been a little overwhelmed lately."

"It's okay." She says with a smile. "You know why?"

"No, why?"

"Because I love you. Mommy says you can't stay mad at the people you love."

"She's right." I smile. "It's really hard to stay mad at the ones you love." Sophie is such a sweet girl. I'm still not sure what I did to deserve her. I used to be such a douchebag, going through life looking for the next girl to take advantage of. It wasn't until Sophie came into my life and helped me change my life around. Every time I look at her, it's like a reflection of the man I've become and the progress I've made with raising her.

*Victoria*

After class, I head back to my room to pack for this weekend. I'd thought we were joining Colton's parents for a simple Thanksgiving dinner, then we'd all part ways and go home. Instead, Colton told his parents we are staying until Sunday.