Chapter 5

Chapter 5

*Aaron*

I wake to the smell of food. I wipe the sleep from my eyes as I sit up. I look over to the kitchen where Grace cooks over the stove. She dances to the quiet music playing from her iPod. I get up and make my way over to her.

"Morning." I say. She jumps as she turns to face me, a pancake cooking in the pan she holds. "I'm sorry." I laugh. "I didn't mean to startle you. I liked your dance." I stifle a laugh.

"Forget you saw that." She frowns, reaching over to turn off her music.

"Sure, whatever. I hope it's okay that I slept here. Sophie didn't want to get out of bed, but she didn't want me to leave either."

"After the way you took care of us yesterday, you can do whatever you want. Thank you so much for everything yesterday."

"It was nothing. Are you feeling any better?"

"I still feel a bit queasy, but it's nothing I can't handle. I'm actually going to try going to class today. I just thought I'd make you breakfast as a thank you."

"Really, you don't..."

"No, no." she cuts me off. "I'm making you breakfast, and it's going to be great. Sit down, it's almost done." She smiles.

"Alright." I sigh as I sit at the small kitchen table. "Is Sophie still asleep?"

"Yeah. She got up once to throw up, but she went back to bed after. She seems to have it worse."

"Hopefully some more medicine and soup will help with that today. I have to write a four-page essay; on a topic I haven't picked yet that's due tomorrow night."

"I can stay home and look after Sophie. I don't mind."

"No, go to school. I'm already in this mess because of my grades, no need for you to get behind too. I'll figure this out."

*Victoria*

My phone lights up as I take notes from Professor Dicken's lecture. Colton's name pops up on the screen and I glance up at my teacher before reading the text.

Meet me at my dorm after classes. I have a surprise for you.

A surprise? What kind of surprise? In the past he's bought me gifts, trying to make me fall for him. What could it be now?

After classes I quickly make my way across campus to Colton's dorm. It's killing me not knowing what he surprise is. I've always hated surprises. The anticipation is too much.

I arrive at Colton's dorm and knock on the door. The door quickly swings open, startling me a little. He greets me with a smile then takes my hand and pulls me inside.

"So, what's the surprise?" I ask.

"I have a gift for you." He says with a smile.

"You don't have to buy me things." I sigh. "Being with you is enough for me."

"I know, and that's why I like getting you things. You deserve nice things every once in a while." He walks over to his nightstand and opens his drawer. He pulls out a rectangular box and faces it towards me as he opens it. My eyes open wide as I stare at the sparkly diamond necklace.

"This is a joke, right?" I ask, afraid to reach out and touch it. "Tell me you got this from a dollar store and this is a prank. These aren't real diamonds right?"