Chapter Two

US AGAINST THE WORLD

"thunder and lightning"

We all sat in the living room in an awkward silence

We all sat in the living room in an awkward silence. Not one of us dared to sit next to another, even Luther and Vanya who each sat on separate two people couches. Everyone avoided eye contact at all costs like looking at another was the plague.

"Um, I guess we should get this started." Luther said, standing up from his couch.

I looked away from the window and to Luther.

"So, I figured we could have a sort of memorial service in the courtyard at sundown. Say a few words, just at dad's favorite spot." Luther said.

"Dad had a favorite spot?" Allison asked.

"You know? Under the oak tree. We used to sit out there all the time. Noe of you ever did that?" Luther asked confusion written all over his face.

"In case you forgot dad hated the rest of us." I said, folding my arms.

Luther looked to me and opened his mouth to say something when Klaus walked into the room holding his drink and dad's ashes in one hand and a lit cigarette in the other.

"Will there be refreshments? Tea? Scones? Cucumber sandwiches are always a winner." Klaus said, walking over to the other end of the couch Vanya was on.

"What? No. Put that out. Dad didn't allow smoking in here." Luther said.

"Is that my skirt?" Allison asked. 

I looked to Klaus to see he had changed out of his pants he had on earlier to a black skirt.

"What? Oh yea, this. I found it in your room." Klaus said turning to face Allison.

"It's a little dated, I know, but it's very breathey on the bits." Klaus said, gesturing to his crouch.

"Listen up. Still some important things that we need to discuss, alright?" Luther said sternly.

"Like what?" Diego asked.

"Like the way he died." Luther said as Klaus sat down next to Vanya.

"I don't understand. I thought they said it was a heart attack?" Vanya asked.

"Yeah, according to the corner." Luther protested.

"What would the corner know?" I asked sarcastically.

"Look I'm just saying, at the very least, something happened. The last time that I talked to dad he sounded strange." Luther said.

"Oh, quelle surprise." Klaus said, gurgling on his drink.

"Strange how?" Allison asked.

"He sounded on edge. Told me I should be careful who to trust." Luther said.