Ch. 6

*Recap*

About five minutes into my sulk session, my phone started ringing. It was Benson. I took the battery out and shoved it into the bottom of my purse. How could he yell at me like that and then expect me to answer his calls? Benson can go to hell.

*End Recap*

I wasn’t sure how long I had been out there. I had fallen asleep amongst the leaves and woke up to the cold nipping at my ears. It was dark and the forest was alive with the sounds of crickets. I replaced the battery in my phone and checked the time. Almost eight o clock at night. How was it possible that I slept for 9 hours? Yawning, I stretched and stared up at the blank, navy sky. I should go back. Just as I thought it, I heard my named being called over and over again. The person didn’t sound too far. I waved my cell phone light in hopes they’d see it. I didn’t feel like yelling back.

“What the hell are you doing out here?” Benson asked. “Do you know how long I’ve been looking for you? I was worried sick!”

“Shouldn’t you be in bed? You’re still hurt.”

“Stop worrying about me,” he said. He pulled me into his arms. “You’re freezing.”

“I fell asleep,” I said casually.

“Look, I’m sorry for fighting with you. I just got scared.”

“Scared of what?” I mumbled into his shoulder.

“Losing you.”

“Why would you think you were losing me?”

“You just sounded kind-of suspicious on the phone. You’ve never talked to someone like that before. I thought maybe it was another guy—”

I pushed up on my tippy toes and kissed him to shut him up. I would never cheat on Benson. When I finally felt him relax, I pulled away and smiled up at him.

“You’re an idiot,” I giggled.

“That hurts,” he said, pretending to be offended.

“Don’t raise your voice at me again,” I said, turning serious. “It was enough having my dad yell at me but not you too.”

“I’m really sorry,” Benson apologized. There was nothing but silence between us for a while. “Let’s go back. You must be starving.”

We walked back hand in hand, making an occasional comment or joke. The night grew steadily darker and by the time we were back at his house, it was pitch black. I ate, showered, and fell asleep once more. The next morning, I woke up with a crazy idea.

“Just hear me out,” I pleaded.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea,” Benson murmured, eating his cereal.

“Benson,” I whined.

“What makes you think you can even find her?”

“They’ll send me off to foster care if I don’t.”

“What if your mom doesn’t want to see you?”

“I’ll figure that out if it happens.”

He was quiet before saying anything else. He poked at his cereal then looked up at me. “Do you even know where she is?”

“That’s why I need your help. We can find her together.”

He nodded to himself, still unsure of my idea. He didn’t think finding my mom would be so great. I beg to differ. Sure she left but there has to be a reason. It’s not me she left, it’s my dad. She’d want to see me. She’d want me back. I knew she would. After breakfast, we ventured to the computer room. I figured Google would be the best place to start. I knew her name so Google could do the rest for me.