Ch. 5

*Recap*

“Did your father ever hurt you in any way?”

Are you alright in there? It was from Benson.

No. Come get me…NOW.

That was one answer Dr. Whitaker…Casey…wasn’t going to get out of me. It wasn’t a lie if I didn’t say anything at all. I looked to the door and Casey followed my gaze just as Benson barged in.

He towed me out of my seat and I hurried after him.

“I love you so much,” I said to him, smiling.

*End Recap*

Back at Benson’s house he insisted that I tell him what happened even though I already said there wasn’t anything to tell. To try and get the subject off of me, I brought up the weekend.

“Tomorrow is Saturday. What do you want to do?” I asked.

“How about we call up some of you relatives and see if they can give you a place to stay?” Benson suggested, while playing with my fingers.

“I’ve already called.”

“And?”

“No one will let me stay with them.”

“What about that Aunt of yours?”

“Oliver stays in the guest room.”

“Are we talking about Oliver the dog?”

“Yes.”

“What a bitch,” Benson chuckled.

“My thoughts exactly.”

We were lying on his bed, staring up at the blue painted ceiling. I rolled over to lay my head on Benson’s chest. I breathed in his intoxicating scent. He always smelled so good yet he swears he doesn’t wear cologne. Apparently cologne gives him a rash. I felt him gently stroking my hair. It was one of those times where there was nothing to say but it wasn’t awkward. It was…comfortable. I closed my eyes briefly and Benson tilted my head upwards.

“Are you sleepy?”

“No.”

“You can sleep if you want to. You’ve had a long morning.” He pecked my forehead and I snuggled back into his chest. “Want me to sing you a song?”

“Yes please.”

Benson wasn’t much of a singer but I loved asking him to sing for me just because his voice was soothing. No matter where we were, I’d have him sing to me before I went to bed. It was like a ritual. I was in the hospital last year for a week and I’d call him from the phone in my room so he could sing me to sleep.

“What song?”

“I don’t know. It doesn’t matter.”

He thought for a moment and began singing. “Now the dark begins to rise. Save your breath, it’s far from over. Leave the lost and dead behind. Now’s your chance to run for cover. I don’t want to change the world. I just want to leave it colder. Light the fuse and burn it up. Take the path that leads to nowhere. All is lost again but I’m not giving in.”

“I Will Not Bow” was one of my favorite songs. Breaking Benjamin was one of my favorite bands in general. Benson got me hooked ever since he played “The Diary of Jane” in his car on our first official date.

I hummed along to the words. I was getting sleepy and then my phone rang. Annoyed, I looked at it.

“Who is it?” Benson asked, seeing me freeze up.