TWENTY

TWENTY

Link's words kept replaying in my head over and over again. The fact that he made me a mission didn't sit right with me. After he presumably completed his 'mission' would it end there? Debating over that matter over the past hour car ride was excruciating. I had other things to worry about.

For instance, my Father dealing with arms and now having a pissed off criminal on my case about it.

Which would explain my impromptu road trip to the same cottage I hadn't been to for years.

"So let me get this straight..." Thomas turned his neck around to look at me from the front seat. "We looking for guns at this old cottage place?"

I nodded at him. "Yes."

"Why aren't we just calling the police? Better yet, Link?" Lexie asked from next me.

I shot her a look. "Link is too busy and he doesn't know about this."

"My advice is to tell Lucian. And Link of course." Nolan said from behind the steering wheel.

"Guys!" I huffed out. "I didn't call you guys to say all this stuff. I need help finding those guns!"

My best bet was to call Thomas and Nolan. I knew they were as badass as Lucian's guys and would keep us safe if anything happened. And Lexie came because she had knocked on my door at the earliest time possible looking wild as heck and in desperate need to erase whatever happened to her. And of course, no questions asked,  I asked her to come along.

The questions were reserved for later, giving her plenty of time to get Lucian out of her system.

The fact that I was an hour away from Joy constant nagged at me, causing this powerful anxiety to suffocate me. Even with Lucian's boys stationed both outside and inside the daycare, courtesy of Link's newfound fatherly protection, I still couldn't shake off the anxiety. I had to be quick and get back to her.

"I'm bound to say something when I know you're about to do something real stupid." Nolan carried on saying.

"If you think it's so stupid, why the hell did you come along?" I shot back.

"Because someone has to look over you whilst you do this stupid thing!"

I dropped back in my seat. "Just get there already."

"We're already here."

I looked out of the window, and there it was. That very same cottage sitting alone in the middle of a bunch of trees. It looked peaceful, and I almost contemplated not going near it. But I had to go and search inside to see if my Father was hiding guns in there. Or even maybe another clue as to what made Benji hell-bent to chase me down.

I got out the car and didn't wait for anyone else. I had taken the keys out of my Father's house before coming here so I unlocked the door with ease.

The first thing that hit me was this sense of deja vu. I had done this before. I shook my head and carried on walking. The normal smell of wood and musk hit my nostrils hard, mixed with this candle scent my mum always had burning. It reminded me of the good times.

I walked into the living room, making sure my eyes kept themselves glassed over as I scanned the room. I did not want to focus one bit longer on any part of this place than necessary.

The first thing I did realise that everything looked the same. The same three seater sofa in the centre of room with accented chairs in front of it. The cosy ottoman beside the fireplace. The faux animal print carpet. The pretty accents all over the place, all bringing light my mother's stylish attributes were still in place.