TEN

TEN

I was seated in the back of my car, knowing well enough for anyone that managed to catch a glimpse of my face, they would see all shades of grumpiness. But I was doing nothing to temper it down a notch, what with the person causing it all sitting right in front of me.

The minute I spotted him this morning, I couldn't help but have this relentless desire shot up me and almost knock me down to my feet. There was no sleep for me last night, what with all the tossing and turning, feeling this burn consume me. And the only person that could defuse it had left me panting in the hallway. So seeing him just annoyed me because, whether I liked it or not, something was waking up inside of me.

Making a big deal out of the whole situation, I had pulled Joy in the back of the car and dropped myself next to her. From the corner of my eye, I could see him watching me closely and when I threw the keys on the driver's seat and turned back to Joy, strapping her in and then myself, I made my intent clear. I was not going to sit by the front next to him.

Lexie, on the other hand, didn't see a big deal out any of it and she took the passengers seat, talking about her hunger and in dire need of coffee. I couldn't agree with her more and as soon as Joy was at her day centre, we were going for breakfast. Which brought me to now, where I sat in the back seat staring out the window wishing that I could just grab his head and give it a good shake.

For whatever reason because surely, I shouldn't be the only one who was this affected. A part of me - scratch that, all parts of me - wanted to know he was struggling as much as I was. But so far, he seemed like he couldn't give a toss.

"Where do you guys want to eat?" His voice rumbled from the front. 

I kept silent behind him. 

"Anywhere!" Lexie chirped from next to him.

I rolled my eyes at her cheery mood. Could she not detect the vibes coming from both of us?

Link drove a bit further down the road before he halted. I looked out the window and saw a row of shops that instantly became familiar. I snapped my head to the other side, spotting the telltale shop. It was like nothing changed, with mouth-watering cakes on display and an inviting interior peeking from the windows. It was packed inside, the few tables to the side filled with people and a long line that started by the counter and ended at the door.

I couldn't see who was standing behind the counter and I sure as heck wasn't going to find out.

"We're not going in there." I said out loud.

Lexie turned around to me, a frown etched across her face. "Why not?" She asked, her eyes darting back to the shop's window display. "Those cakes look lush."

"Cakes are hardly breakfast." I told her.

"We can grab a few and then get real food."  She said, already unbuckling out of her seatbelt and getting out the car. I watched her saunter into the shop, eager to get a taste of one of the cakes. Soon enough, she disappeared fully into the shop until I couldn't see her anymore.

I let out an agitated sigh, dropped back in my seat and crossed my arms. I returned to gazing back out the window, looking past each shops fleetingly. A few I could recall but there were handful of new ones. How many times had I sat on my ass by the pavement of this road? How may times had Link and I confronted each other outside these shops? Too many to count.

I brushed my gaze towards Link sitting in front of me and noticed that he was getting ready to get out the car as well. I did well to stay quiet. He could leave for all I cared. Just as he was about to get out the door, he turned around to me. The second our eyes met, something crossed his face before he replaced his expression with a detached one. "Kind of embarrassing if anyone catches you hiding in the car." He threw the comment back at me before he unfolded out the car.