SIX

SIX

The door behind us opened and I looked over Link's shoulder to see Lucian walking in, with a flustered looking Lexie stalking in from behind. I glanced down at her hands and saw they were clenched down by her sides, her eyes skidding away from the towering man in front of her.

I frowned at her, unsure what had caused the tension in her suddenly. She came to stand close to me, at the opposite end of Lucian and as far away as she could possible get.

"I see you guys warming up to each other again," Lucian commented, shooting his own glances between Link and I. We didn't look like we were warming up to each other at all, what with me wanting to pry the smirk dancing on his mouth off seconds ago.

I stepped further away from Link, closer to Lexie until it seemed like we were tag teaming against the males in the room.  Crossing my arms across my chest, I levelled my gaze on the man standing in the middle of the room who seemed frightening but not enough to scare away the people after my Father's money.

Lucian Frey. He was a man to be reckoned with and the reason why I fully trusted him with my safety - until moments ago. Now it seemed as though even him couldn't keep my family safe. So as he stood in front of me, I hoped that he had something to say that would ease my worry.

"You don't need to worry Orianna," he said carefully, the tone of his voice taking a different turn from when he spoke earlier. I wondered whether the worry was that clearly etched on my face. And I was guessing it was because Lucian could be everything but a mind reader.

"It's just that-" I started to say but found myself in loss of words. Seeing that fragile woman, who looked close to death, running towards me and repeating those words at me kept relaying in my head.

"I said don't worry Orianna and I mean that." He repeated, this time on a stern note.

I nodded at him. "Okay."

He walked over to his desk but didn't take a seat, his eyes still on me hard. The containment of my jitters was starting to become easier since I was focusing on getting started on keeping myself and Joy safe. If I moved all my energy onto that, I would have no space to freak out. And freaking out was out the agenda from now on.

Clear, level-minded. That's was going to be me right now.

"That woman you saw is as good as dead." Lucian started to say and I physically felt my heart drop.

"The men after you are not going to stop and we won't give them what they want. It's as simple as that. What we're going to do is make sure they know what it means if they come after you again and until that is in full play, you will have a man on you at all times."

I nodded at Lucian again. "Yeah, I know. It's Link."

Lucian's forehead creased as a questioning look shadowed his dark features. "I wasn't going to say Link." He said slowly, giving me a once over before moving his gaze over my side to where Link was standing silently.

"I volunteered for the job personally, Boss." Link explained.

I ignored Link and moved so I was in Lucian's total vision. "So you mean I can have anyone?"

"Yes," he said slowly. "But I don't think that's the case anymore," he drew out as he looked to my side. I snapped my head to my right and saw Link standing right besides me, within punching distance. And that's what I wanted to do exactly.