Part II

1990

It was the beginning of a new decade. One decade closer to a new century, a new millennium. Who knows what was to hold for the world in the future.

It'd been four years since Luxo Jr. was created. Luxo still didn't know how or why his creation turned out to be the way he did, but he wasn't complaining. He loved raising the child as if it was his own. No..Luxo Jr was his own. He created him, and he taught him almost everything he knew. The languages, the history, the manners/behavior, everything. The only things he kept secret from his son were the hardships he'd witness—hunger, homelessness, depression, illness, loss, and especially death. He wasn't sure when he'd allow Luxo Jr to witness such atrocity, but it wouldn't be anytime soon.

So taking him out in public was somewhat difficult. There was so much hate and danger everywhere. It was almost impossible to keep his eyes off his son for more than ten seconds, in fear someone would try to hurt him, simply for being different.

Luxo spoiled his son to death. He made sure the boy had everything he wanted, and more. He bought him every toy, game, food, etc that he wanted. Well, almost everything. Somethings were off limits to the boy, in which he understood. Luxo Jr. may have been spoiled, but he surprisingly wasn't bratty about it.

It was a calm, warm day while the young lamp hybrid played with the pile of his toys. Luxo sat on the couch and watched in amusement. He'd noticed how his son was oddly obsessed with two different genres of toys and adventures—cowboys and space rangers. It was a peculiar combination, but a child's imagination was a funny part of life.

"Hey Dad, you wanna play with me?" Luxo Jr asked curiously, looking up at his father.

The older lamp hybrid shook his head, chuckling softly. "No thank you, my boy. It seems you've got this covered." He declined politely.

The child shrugged and continued to play with the toys, then spoke to himself. "Hmm..I wonder what toys think when I'm playing with them. They do a good job at staying in character!"

Luxo scoffed and laughed softly, "Son, are you implying that the toys are..alive?"

"Well..maybe!" The boy chirped, glancing up at his father. "Who knows what they do when humans aren't around. They might have adventures of their own that we don't even know about!"

Luxo raised a brow, staring out at the distance, beginning to ponder his son's silly thought. While he knew that was untrue, and that toys were just plastic put together in a factory, he did like the idea. It sounded like it could be from a book or maybe a movie. He was surprised that there wasn't such a story about the idea. Maybe because a movie wouldn't look all that realistic due to the technology they had.

Maybe..it didn't need to look realistic. At all.

Luxo looked back at his son and asked, "Hmm..would you like to know what they do when you're not around?"
Luxo Jr nodded eagerly, before letting his father finish, "How would you like to see a movie about toys coming to life? Having their own adventures?"

The boy gasped, his eyes lighting up in awe. "Yes! I'd love that! It'd be the coolest movie ever! I'd call it something like..like..'Toy Story'!"

Luxo nodded, reaching over to grab a pen and paper from the coffee table. "Toy Story..so simple, but it has a nice ring to it." He thought aloud to himself. "Hmm..this could work."