Prologue

1985

An empty field, surrounded by the darkness of the night sky. Rain dropped on the ground, fast and hard. The monsoons were coming in hard this time of year. Lightning flashed in the clouded sky. Thunder roared like a lion throughout the world. The strong winds of Mother Nature harshly blew down tree branches and leaves.

A truck drove down the deserted road, quickly to avoid the storm, but not too fast to slip on the sleek concrete of the road. In the trunk was a load of house furniture. Most of it was heavy items, like couches, chairs, and tables. Others were small, lighter, and unsecured in the back, such as lamps, figurines, and dishes.

The driver soon came across a bump in the road, which caused some of the items to fall out into the grass of the plains. It was only a few cups, a plate, and a Luxo lamp. The lamp tumbled farther from the other items, however, and ended up farthest from the road.

The lamp was most likely useless at this point, anyway, since it'd been poured on, including its electrical cord. It was defective against the element of water, so the truck driver wouldn't have needed it anymore, anyway.

Lightning struck the fields a couple times, hitting certain parts of the grass. But it was beginning to follow some sort of path. If anyone was watching, they'd see the bolts striking in almost the same places, heading in the same direction.

And it looked like they were following a path toward the abandoned lamp.

The raindrops increased. The thunder grew louder, so much that it made the ground vibrate, causing pebbles to bounce. The lightning continued to strike every few seconds, just after the harsh sound of thunder.

And then, the lightning found its target, striking directly onto the lamp. But it wasn't a quick flash of light. No, it lasted much longer than it was supposed to.

Followed by a cloud of dust circling the lamp, distancing itself from the object—the object that was lighting up, rising from the ground. It was even growing.

Growing rapidly, increasing in not only size, but shape as well. The hinges that held it together separated, and clung onto a..back of some sort. The electrical cord was lowered, and the lampshade was now covering the head of a humanoid.

It took a moment, maybe longer, but once the transformation was complete, the lightning disappeared. The whole scene of the storm calmed down. Thunder silenced itself, the winds died down, and there wasn't a flash of light to be seen in the skies above. The raindrops decreased only slightly, however.

As for the lamp..

Well, what used to be a lamp.

He opened his eyes for the very first time, gasping for breath. He was on his hands and knees, staring ahead at the ground, observing the color of the wet grass. He had absolutely no idea who he was, why he was here, or how he came to be.

He felt an odd urge to touch the grass in front of him. He reached out his hand, gasping lightly when he saw that he even had a hand. He held it up to his face to examine the shape. Fascinating..He thought.

He sat up in a more comfortable position, observing his own humanoid body up and down. He was pale and tall, nude and cold. He picked up the electrical cord attached to his lower back, right above the waist. It only then occurred to him what he was. More importantly, who he was.

His name: Luxo.

His physical age: 30.

His powers: unlimited.

His occupation, well..that was up to him to figure out.

With a heavy breath, he found the strength to ever so slowly rise from the ground.