Chapter 4: Media Day

Media day is the Monday after the races. Drivers have meetings and press conferences about upcoming races and reviewing the previous race. My family has the same. Everyone gets cleaned up. So no fire suits. The drivers normally wear their polo with their sponsors logo and jeans. Connor and I dress up a little.

Connor had on a blue polo with khaki shorts with flip flops and I put on jeans with a off-white tank top with lace at the bottom with some brown sandals. My hair was straightened with a bow holding it out of my face and Connor had brushed his Justin Bieber style hair.

I grabbed my keys and Connor and I headed to the studio for interviews. We were starting with Sports Center and ending with NASCAR.

We walked into the studio. There were three red chairs. Connor and I sat down with Nicole Briscoe, one of the anchors that travels with NASCAR.

"Good morning guys ready to get started?" Nicole asked sitting down. We both nodded yes and the questions began.

The camera man signaled before we went live.

"Good morning. I'm Nicole Briscoe with Hunter and Connor Blue. So let's go ahead and get started. How is it now being at tracks your father won at multiple times?" She started off with.

"For me it is bittersweet because every race is different. It is hard not being here with dad but we are here with our family which is NASCAR." Connor answered in a professional tone.

"Hunter for you, you were here every year with your dad when he was at the peak of his career to the end. How is it now?" Nicole turned attention to me.

"I mean like Connor said. It sucks not being here with dad but being here with Joey and Richard Petty and people that are family to us. I always like seeing who is up and coming and who the cars to beat are. But like Connor said, we don't have our dad here but we have family." I explained.

"So for those who don't know how are your lives arranged since you travel to every race?"

"For us education wise, we are homeschooled during the week. We have a tutor that travels with us. But we are around to help get everything set up and get the track ready." Connor looked at me to continue.

"Yea and we are here to help get the pits ready and make sure tires are evenly distributed to every team. So basically we are working for NASCAR while we live with them." I finished.

"So other kids have to take out the trash the Blue kids have to count tires for their chores. Now how do you guys stay entertained during the week?" Nicole asked.

"It depends on the weather. If it is sunny we go out and play sports in the grassy area where tailgaters would be or we get some of the Nationwide drivers that are closer to our age and run around the racetrack." I commented. "We just act like teenagers."

"If it rains we basically do the same things but we normally go and splash in the puddles and get soaking wet." Connor said which created laughter.

"Well guys we love seeing you guys out and around. But your mom hasn't been out as much. Does the traveling mess with her at all?" Nicole poked.

"I think it gets old for her. She really loves the races but she is defiantly a different person now which is understandable. She has been sick and when we get on a week off we are going to take her to the doctor." I jumped on that question.

"Well Connor and Hunter thanks for talking with us and enjoy California." Nicole said and the cameras turned off.

"You two are very inspirational people." She said hugging us. We left and headed to get some food from the hauler.

We walked into an empty hauler. I looked in where mom sleeps, the bathroom, and the back lounge and mom wasn't there.

"Hunter there's a note." Connor ran over handing me a small piece of paper.

It read:
"Hey kids.
Your mom called and said she wasn't feeling well so I took her to the infield care center. Call me when you get this.
Joey"

"So mom is just at the care center." I said dialing Joey. The phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hey Joey it's Hunter and Connor. Are you guys still at the care center?" I said cheery.

"Hunter we are at the hospital. The doctor at the center said your mom needed some tests. Do you guys need me to come get you?" Joey answered.

"No I can get Kyle to drive us. we will be there in a few." I said hanging up.

"Mom and Joey are at the hospital." I told Connor.

I scrolled through my contacts and found Kyle Larson and wrote:

"Mom and Joey are at the hospital. Can you take me and Connor?"

And he instantly answer

"I will be at your hauler in 4 minutes."

I grabbed a bag and got an extra pair of clothes and necessities for my mom. Then I grabbed my wallet, ID, NASCAR ID, and phone charger. Kyle knocked on the door and we headed to the hospital.

It was a 20-25 minute drive in Kyle's truck with three people.

On the way there Chase texted me.

"I got a peek of the Media Day schedule and you are free. Lunch?"

I replied.

"On my way to the hospital. Mom is sick and I don't know when I will be back. Sorry."

We got the hospital and found Joey in the lobby. He was sitting down bent over. He looked up and walked over to Connor and I. He thanked Kyle for bringing us and sat us in a waiting room and shut the door.

Joey looked at us and sighed.

"Guys your mom isn't doing well." He blurted out.

Connor and I looked at each other.

"Well it's just the flu right?" I said with burning hope in my eyes.

Joey continued.

"They are still running tests but they think she has leukemia." Joey started to tear up. "And she doesn't have much time."

________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys!

I really hope you are enjoying the story! Let me know by a vote or comment? I am also still waiting on comments of your favorite drivers!

Hope you guys have a great week!