Chapter 18

Sparks Fly

Chapter 18

A breath.

My trembling fingers trace over his face.

A breath.

My eyes lock with his, and I know it'll be hard to take them off.

A breath.

"D-Don, I mutter at last, my cold face brushing against his.

He cries and cries into my shoulder, and his whimpers make me feel guilty. Almost guilty enough to cry along.

"Don, look at me. Look at me," I say, grabbing his face into my hands. "How the hell did you get here?"

Don is too weepy right now to respond. The man who ordered the three men to stop from killing me speaks. "Kathy took him from his house a few nights back, and she recently turned him into me, Tristen." I whip my head toward him, narrowing my tired eyes.

"How do you know my name?"

"Tristen, I know more than your name." He walks around the room, a sharp look in his gaze. The gaze sure is familiar. "I know Cliff and Lorcan as well," he sneers at his name, scrunching his nose in disgust at Lorcan who's in a pile. He still doesn't move. "Jordan and Ace." Does that mean Ace isn't with this? "Oh, Ace. Good boy he is," he adds. Or not.

Don is cold and quivering as he clings onto me. His little fingers pinch my shoulder, and his tears soak the nape of my neck. How dare someone make Don cry? How dare they?

Putting Don aside, away from Kathy's deceased, gruesome body, I stand up. The muscles in my legs tighten, but I don't let myself fall. I can't look the man in the eye, and I lower my head, my filthy hair hanging in front of my eyes.

"Don," I breathe. I raise my head, staring him in the eye. "Is crying."

And just like that, all Hell breaks loose in me as I start charging towards the man at full speed. I grab his neck, and oddly enough, he allows me to strangle him. He doesn't fight back. I grunt, looking at his pale face as his pulse on my fingers quickens. Die. Die. Die. Die. Die.

"Tristen! Don't kill him!"

My ears perk up at Don's voice. My eyes water at what I almost did. I let the man's limp body fall to my feet. The three men in the back stare at me but take no action.

Walking quickly over to Don, I realize he notices Kathy's body.

His screams in terror. The tears on his beautiful face. The widening of his mouth.

From that moment, I know he's going to be scarred forever.

Cradling him closely in my arms, I brush his hair, turning him away from Kathy. His chest vibrates as he wails so loudly it hurts. He's only a child after all. No one is supposed to see something like this.

I start humming Dad's hymn, but my voice cracks; Don's sobs turn into mine. No tears run down my face, but my body shakes. It shakes intensely.

The man with the sharp look stands up, fixes his collar and approaches me, his breath tickling my lips.

"Tristen. I'm going to slaughter you if you do something like that one more time. All right, dear?"

I freeze. My body goes numb, and Don stops crying but not completely.

Why bring Don into this? Kathy obviously turned in my number one love. My number one obsession. Don.

Kathy's blood flows freely across the dirty wood, and it nears Lorcan's body. Please no, Lorcan. You can't do this to me.