Chapter 17

Sparks Fly

Chapter 17

"Blonde girl, eh?" I ask, thinking of how it would be hugging Isabel after what seems like such a long time. "I really hope it's Isabel."

Lorcan’s smile widens. "Wow, it's awesome thinking about Isabel being so close. It's almost mind-blowing thinking about it now." Lorcan smiles sincerely, looking at Jordan.  Days ago it would've been incredibly normal to have Isabel by our side, being motherly and all. Now it's something that seems impossible, but hope stirs within me.

"Maybe your aunt really isn't such a bad person, Tristen," Jordan speaks up, rubbing her eyes and snuggling into her pillow again, attempting to sleep. I don't trust Kathy, but she may be a good character. I'm not one to judge. I don't know her very well. She may just be playing us and leading us into her trap. Lorcan and I need to be ready and alert tomorrow.

As the clock strikes twelve, Jordan's already asleep with Lorcan at her side eyes bloodshot and forehead wrinkled in apprehension. Lorcan's the most affected from Isabel's disappearance.

A thought hits me.

"Cliff," I whisper, watching intently as Lorcan's eyes close, and he falls asleep. "What if everything was planned?"

"What do you mean?" His voice is hoarse. I gulp.

"What if Ace was planning to leave all along? Like what if they planned for Isabel to get caught? They always kept things from us, right? They were really close. Don't tell me you're going to deny the facts right now. They're all set in front of you, Cliff. So there's going to be a trap when me and Lorcan go tomorrow," I say, feeling miserable.

"Ace and Isabel aren't like that."

My eyes widen at him. He scratches the stubble on his chin. Cliff has known them for longer. He probably knows what they're capable of better than I do. But still. I refuse to think otherwise.

"Cliff," I mumble, frustrated.

"They're not like that," he says through his teeth, locking eyes with me now. Exploring his eyes, I narrow mine. "And I've been thinking about the graveyard, and if the enemy may actually have powers, it might've been someone else with animation. Ace would never do that. I know Ace well enough."

"Cliff, oh my God!" I hiss, standing up and gritting my teeth. "Are you seriously going to believe everyone suspicious is innocent?"

"Everyone's innocent until proven guilty."

There are no words to describe how angry and betrayed I feel right now. It feels as if there's a void in me, like I'm all alone. Maybe I should go to my mother's house after all. Maybe I should just leave them to trust every suspect. But I know I can't leave. Not only because Kathy would probably tell me she'd take me to my mother's house and murder me instead in her car, but that I can't leave Cliff, Lorcan, and Jordan alone.

They really have a deep place in my heart because we're all in the same situation, and we're suffering through all of it together. I really can't believe we haven't lost any lives through the surprise enemy attack and the graveyard.

I shudder at the thought and smile weakly at Cliff despite our fight. 

"Cliff we need to—well, I need to learn to accept other possibilities," I say, simpering.

Cliff's hand smoothes down my hair and cradles me in his arms.

We decide to sleep in the same room tonight.

Sleeping back to back, Cliff and I whisper a few times before we decide we should probably go to sleep.

"So tomorrow we have training, right?" I breathe, hogging the blanket. "I mean like she told us she'd be gone in the morning."