Chapter 12

Sparks Fly

Chapter 12

The sound of a bullet breaking thin air pounds my head again, and for a second, I think it’s me who’s getting shot.

                They’re here. They’re actually here.

A whimpering, heart-tearing cry comes from my right. My vision is blurred as I inch towards the victim. I fall to Isabel’s side and without second thoughts, strip my thin tee off. Before even getting the chance to stop the blood flow, I’m whacked back with an unimaginable force.

My back is against a bush, and pebbles sink into my skin. My palms sting as blood oozes from my hand.

There are three men; the three men I saw not too long ago.

My limbs are weak, and my eyelids droop as I lazily watch Cliff kicking one of the men. Lorcan drags me up, ordering me to fight.

“I’ll take care of Isabel,” he says, panicky, warding off the limping, bald man. He evades Lorcan’s blows and steps over to me. Sickness is in his deceiving eyes.

“Back for round two, I see,” he snickers at me, his sharp voice like glass against my skin.

Out of pure fury, I throw a heavy fist at the man’s jaw. He staggers back, spitting blood. With a violent roar, he runs to me, breaking my oxygen. His sweaty fingers around my neck are unmoving as they clench harder by the second.

I let out a sputtering cry, punching the man in the stomach.

Cursing wildly, I give him a rough, hard kick that I’m sure he will never forget. The limping man falls to the dry earthy ground, clutching his crotch, moaning.

His face twists in a pain, and satisfaction swerves through me like water.

While I’m too busy grinning at my success, I don’t notice the gun pointed directly at me. I look to my right from the corner of my eye and don’t see Cliff.

The holder of the gun is the man Cliff was attacking. Does this mean Cliff got beat up?

“Surrender, child,” the man says wickedly, his voice thicker than grease. Around me, I hear moans of pain, yells of attack, and evil chuckles. “Kiss your life goodbye.”

Within half a second, I gasp in fear and fall to the ground, my bloody hands burning at the impact. The bullet shoots above me, missing me by just a moment.

Instinctively, I grab the man’s leg and hold it, fingers tight.

The gun is directed at me again.

“You little thing. You’re going to die.”

A cold numbness has taken over my body. My loud heartbeats sound over Isabel’s shrilling cries of pain. A white streak of electricity dances along my fingers, tickling the man’s leg. The zaps tie around his leg as if alive.

The man falls, with no cry, just a moan. His emotionless face falls in level with mine. His crooked teeth clatter as he tries to speak but to no avail. Then just like that, he falls to his side, paralyzed.

Horror gives me a blow as I weakly stand.

The other man is now standing, but barely. Blood trickles from his mouth, and I rub my knuckles uneasily, pain prickling them. I’ve never punched this hard before.

“You—” A grunt. “Piss me off.”

His dirty fingers wrap around the gun he retrieves from the paralyzed man. His shaky index finger pulls the trigger.