Chapter 5 - The Fence

I run back to Peeta, and quietly shake him to wake up.

"Peeta", i whisper as i'm shaking him, "we have to go, now."

He woke up groggily. "What?"

"Shhhh!" i hushed him. "We need to get out of here!"

He finally got up and we grabbed our stuff. We went to see if the hoovercraft was still there and it wasn't. That frightened me. We walked quietly through the woods back to the fence.

"Wait" i hesitated.

"Come on, Katniss. We have to get out of here!" Peeta screamed in a whisper.

He was just about to go through the fence when i pulled him back.

"NO, PEETA! The fence is on!" I screamed.

"What? Is it normally on at this time?" He asked worried.

I closed my eyes and rubbed the bridge of my nose.

"Well?"

"No, peeta. The fence is not normally on." I looked away so he wouldn't see the tears welling up.

We walked back into the woods and sat up against a tree. We sat there in silence for awhile.

"What are we going to do, babe?" He sounded afraid.

"We just have to wait."

"But Katniss, how will we eat?"

I raised up my bow, slightly annoyed.

"Oh yeah.." he looked down. "What about baths?"

"Peeta, we obviously can't take a bath." I said irritated. I know i shouldn't be. He's not used to stuff like this.

"Were just going to have to deal wi-, wait.." i thought for a second. "There's this pond, my dad used to take me there to swim! And... there's a little cabin there, too! We can sleep in there."

Peeta smiled "Then what are we doing still sitting here, silly?" He said getting up and walking away.

"Wrong way." I chuckled a little. Even in the worst moments he can make me feel like I'm on top of the world. I never imagined anyone could make me feel that way. I grinned to myself and then led the way.

I grabbed his hand and we walked to the pond that my dad would take me to as a little girl, before he died..

It was a mining accident. He went one day, and didn't come back the next.. I was devastated. He was my bestfriend. Taught me how to hunt, swim, be a better person. He was always there for me.

We see the cabin, check it out to make sure it's empty and get comfy on the floor.

Peeta falls fast asleep. "Goodnight, my love." I say, kissing him on the tip of his nose. And i was asleep.

---

I woke up to loud growling sounds. It sounded like a dog or a wolf.

I jolted up and looked around and didn't hear anything song figured it was nothing.

I lay back down only to jolt right back up. The growling got closer.

"Peeta" I whispered frightened.

"Peeta" I whispered again.

"Shhh. I know I heard it, too. Stay still and be quiet."

The growling got louder. I could feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

"Katniss, is there a back door?"

"Yes, all the way back to the left. We can crawl to it without being seen and hopefully heard." I whispered as quietly as I could.

"Follow me I'll look out first, when I say it's clear you run."

"What?! No peeta I'm not leaving you!"

"Don't be ridiculous, we don't have time to argue. You're going to run as fast as you can."

The hounds are getting close enough that I can hear them breathing just outside the door.

"Katniss we have to go. I will be right behind you. I promise."

I started to army crawl across the creaky cabin floor hoping not to make too much noise.

Thankfully we make it to the door and he stands up.

"Okay I'm gonna make sure it's clear and when I scratch my nose you run. Don't look back. Run."

I nod my head, and pull him to me.

"I love you."

"I love you too katniss. I really do."

He gives me a light kiss on the forehead before slowly opening the old creaky door.

He looks to the left and looks to the right before stepping out. I start to worry but as soon as I stand up he faces me at the door.

He reaches up to scratch his nose and before I can get his name out of my mouth someone grabs him from the side.

I stumble to the floor before screaming his name as he tries to fight the guy off.

"RUN!" Were the last words I heard from his mouth before the peacekeeper knocked him out.

I struggle to get out of the door and into the woods but I finally do. I run for what seems like miles. I can't breathe. I can't think. I don't know what to do. they got Peeta. The Capitol got Peeta.

I slow down and come to a stop as I lean up to a tree. I can't stop the tears. All I can think about is Peeta. I just left him. I didn't even try to help. I have to turn back.

I hear a crunch behind me. I whip around only to what felt like a brick slamming onto my forehead. I drop to the ground in pain. I can't see anything. I can't see who did it. All I see is darkness.

"Peeta" I whispered before slowly fading away.

--
My eyes begin to open as I regain consciousness. All I see is a bright, white light blazing into my eyes.

"What? What happened?" I squint my eyes to look around, to find myself in what seems to be a lab.

Oh shit. Peeta. I have to find him. I try to get up but it feels like snakes are constricting around my wrist. I look down to see that they strapped me into a bad.

"Peeta! No! Get me out of here!" I hear people rushing in.

"She's awake. Call Herich. He is the only one with the direct orders. Get her sedated now! We need to calm her down" People from all sides of me were shouting although I couldn't see them.

"No! What are you doing! Don't touch me! Where's Peeta! Stop!" I could feel my body going numb.

"She's going into a panic, get her sedated. We need more! Somebody call Herich dammit."

My body began to float, my eyes drifted shut and the voices flowed away along with them.