8 - Keep a Lookout

Dante and I approached the fence that surrounded the forest. Carefully, we climbed over it, and once my feet touched the mossy forest floor, I knew there was no going back.

"Gwynn..." Dante whispered.

"Why so quiet?" I asked, looking up at him in confusion.

"Am I crazy, or are you convinced that someone's watching us too?" He questioned. I sighed.

"I'm always feeling that way, Dante. You're crazy, yes, but not that kind of crazy." I said assuringly. He laughed softly.

"You're always so calm in stressful situations." Dante replied, draping his arm over my slender shoulders. I leaned my head on his shoulder, a side smile creeping onto my face. Suddenly, there was a scream from the bunch of bushes ahead of us. It sounded like a man screaming out of pain. The both of us froze in our tracks.

"You heard that, too, right?" I whispered to Dante.

"Yeah... yeah, I did." He agreed, looking just as scared as I felt.

"Let's ignore it for now. It shouldn't be too harmful." I responded, placing my warm hand on his shoulder. He let out a shaky breath.

"Yeah, you're right." Dante replied, smiling. At that very moment, an arrow whizzed past Dante's head. I grabbed his arm and pulled him to me. "Shit... that was close." He whispered.

"I'll go check it out." I said. Dante's eyes connected with mine. His were full of pure shock, and mine were full of determination.

"I know you're crazy, but not this kind of crazy! You can't do this, Gwynn! What if... what if I lose you?!" Dante protested.

"Have you forgotten already?" I sighed, shooting up a tiny flame on my finger. Dante stared at it for a while until he found his voice again.

"O-oh. Yeah. Right. You go... do the thing. I'll just... yeah." He stammered awkwardly. I smiled, pecked his cheek, and raced into the bushes in the general direction of where the arrow was shot from. I heard whispering from the large berry bush ahead, and a stopped in my tracks. There were two voices. One male and one female.

"You idiot! Let me shoot the next one." The female groaned.

"No way! You're worse than me!" The male argued.

"Am not, you big baby."

"Are too, you bully."

"Oh, f*** off and give me the damn bow."

"Hell no! This is our last arrow!"

"GIVE. ME. THE. GODDAMN. BOW. JOSHUA."

"Damn, Tressa. No need to be a bitch."

"I'll just pretend I didn't hear that."

"You're a BITCH."

"Do you WANT another kick in the balls?!"

"...sorry."

"Good."

I put both hands over my mouth to keep from bursting into laughter. These idiots. The Tressa girl stood up to shoot, but she spotted me. She slowly lowered her bow, her purple eyes wide with fear.

"Joshua..." She whispered, her black pixie cut hair moving slightly as she turned her head.

"What?" The guy, apparently Joshua, replied.

"It's the girl. She's right here." Tressa said. I saw Joshua slowly stand, his shaggy dark pink hair covering his eyes.

"Oh... uh, hi!" Joshua exclaimed.

"IDIOT. SHE'S GOING TO KILL US! SHE HAS THE ELEMENT POWERS!" Tressa yelled at him, shaking him by the shoulders.

"Oh! Oh. Uh, well. Uh... um..." Joshua muttered, brushing his hair out of his forest green eyes.

"Listen. We didn't mean to hurt you. I-I took my friend Joshua here out for target prac-" I put my hand to Tressa's throat, summoning fire with the other. I pointed the fire filled hand to Joshua.

"Bullshit." I growled, almost nose to nose with Tressa. Tressa was coughing and trying to get air, so I let her go. I did keep an eye on the two of them. Joshua looked absolutely terrfied, and Tressa was on her knees, gasping for oxygen. "You hurt me or Dante in any way and I'll do more than that to the both of you." I stated firmly. The two of them nodded vigorously. "Now, get the hell out." I said. Joshua picked up Tressa, and ran off into the distance. I brushed my hands off, and made my way back to Dante. He was sitting underneath a shady tree. I heard him singing his rendition of one of my favorite songs.

I made you my Aphrodite
Made you my one and only
I won't make you my enemy
My enemy
My enemy
See, I don't wanna play with magic
Now I know well what I'm fighting for
And, baby, yes I dare to do this
Cause you always leave wanting more and more
I am ready for, ready for
Your perfect storm, perfect storm
Cause once you're mine, once you're mine
I don't wanna go back

I walked out of the bushes, clapping softly. He always had a beautiful voice. Dante jumped a bit, and then smiled at the sight of me.

"Thank God it's you!" He exclaimed, standing up to hug me. I ran my hands through his hair, and smiled at his touch. Our lips connected, and the sparks, as always, flew.

"Yeah. Just... well..." I trailed off, not knowing what to say about Joshua and Tressa.

"Just what, babe?" Dante asked. I smiled, and stared into his beautiful eyes.

"Keep a lookout."