three

my alarm blares at seven a.m. scaring the living shit out of me.

i knock the beeping clock to the floor, a groan escaping my lips. it take me a good two minutes to realize it's monday morning, the day i begin my new job.

i leap out of bed, rushing into the bathroom. i shower quickly and dry my hair, letting it fall loose in chestnut waves past my shoulders. i put eyeliner and mascara on my eyes, trying to make myself look professional and slightly classy.

i go to my closet and pull on a white blouse and a black skirt along with black pumps. i stare at myself in the mirror and take a few deep breaths.

"you can not screw this up," i say to my reflection. 

and after a short pep talk, i grab my back and lock the door behind me.

on the way out of the building, i pass ethan's door and push him away from my mind. just because i have a rude neighbor doesn't mean i'll have to interact with him. that is, unless my noise level isn't as low as he pleases.

i get into my car, the cool portland air making me shiver a bit. even though it's mid september, temperatures are already dropping. not that i mind too much, anyway. i love cold weather.

the drive is short to crystal publishing, thanks to my apartment only being a few blocks away. i mentally thank aaron for the thousandth time for helping me pick out such fantastically located place. 

i park my car accordingly and walk into the sleek glass building. i take the elevator to the sixth floor and walk into a spacious office, stopping at the reception desk.

a brown haired woman with shocking blue eyes smiles at me from the desk. "good morning, miss chamberlain," she says, nodding a bit.

"hi," i greet her. the plaque on her desk reads "marion johnson."

she smiles at me. "i'll let mr. greenman know you're here." she picks up her phone and presses a few buttons, speaking my name into the receiver before hanging up. she hands me a manila folder. "mr. greenman put aside this manuscript the other day for you to start when you arrived." i take the folder into my arms, unable to stop the smile from spreading across my face.

this is it. this is really happening.

a few moments later, a distinguished man with glasses and dark hair walks up to me, sticking out his hand for me to shake.

"emma chamberlain, nice to see you," he says as i shake his hand. "i'm dan greenman, COO."

i nod. i hadn't realized he was ranked so high in the company. to think i'll be working directly for the COO almost makes me dizzy.

"i'll show you to your workspace," he says. i nod again and follow him across the office to the back corner, facing a wall of windows.

"over there is accounting," mr. greenman says. "your desk is bordering where accounting works. next to accounting is HR..."  he goes on and i nod politely. he finally finishes talking and smiles at me. "you will be expected to read four to five manuscripts a week. i know it sounds like a lot, but judging by your resumé, you should be up to the challenge. your first paycheck will arrive to your residence on sunday. i look forward to seeing your work in copy editing, miss chamberlain," he says as i set my things down on my desk.