Val Royeaux

Evelyn awoke in the morning feeling refreshed. The soft mattress worked wonders in easing the aches and pains of the road. She had walked into her cabin the night before to find that a tub had been set up in her space with a warm bath drawn. Josie's doing, no doubt. She had soaked for what felt like hours until her fingertips had shriveled. Servants had provided her with bath salts infused with elfroot and a shampoo that smelled of Crystal Grace. She found out that it was that shampoo that had given her hair the shine she had noticed after waking from her three day coma.

She took up a brush and smoothed her bed hair, allowing her nearly white locks to fall down around her shoulders. It had recently gotten long enough to touch nearly to her collar bone. She surveyed her appearance in the looking glass beside her dresser and was none too shocked to see that her face looked weary in spite of how good she felt. Her grey eyes were ringed by a light dusting of dark circles that bemoaned her lack of restful sleep. She took up a pad and worked to cover up the disturbances in her complexion that also included a few more freckles that had popped up in her time on the road. She'd never had freckles before leaving the Circle. She took the time to swipe a line of kohl both above and below her lashes to draw attention to her eyes instead of what surrounded them. She needed to start sleeping better.

After dressing, she headed out into the brisk morning air to find some breakfast. The Tavern likely would not be open yet, so she decided to try the Chantry. Her legs carried her up the staircase to where Varric had taken up permanent residence by the same fire she had sat around with him on her first day in Haven. He wiggled his fingers in greeting as she passed and she returned the wave with a smile. Her stomach grumbled as her foot hit the bottom stair of the next incline. She'd been so wrapped up in her bath the previous night that she had forgotten to eat dinner. Careless. Raised voices caught her attention as she climbed the stairs. She glanced up toward the Chantry. There was a collection of people outside the entrance, a clear line in the sand between the two groups. "Your kind killed the Most Holy!" A man in templar plate shouted, his stance threatening as he leaned toward the man opposite him who was dressed in mage robes.

"Lies! Your kind let her die!" The mage retorted angrily.

The templar's hand went to his sword and Evelyn jerked toward the fray. "Shut your mouth, mage!" The man spat, his sword halfway from its scabbard.

Before she could reach them, Cullen appeared like smoke, stepping between the two men. She flinched and paused, a distinct jolt of fear wrenching her gut as Cullen set himself in harm's way. "Enough!" he shouted, his arms outstretched to keep the men apart.

"Knight Captain," the templar gasped, backing up a few steps.

Evelyn breathed a sigh of relief as the man's hand left his sword. Cullen's head snapped to the Templar and his top lip curled back in disgust. "That is not my title!" he growled. Another clue to the Commander nuzzled it's way into her mental file. Why was he so angry with the Order? "We are not templars any longer. We are all part of the Inquisition." He emphasized all, indicating the mages as well by turning to glance at them. As he lectured, his arms dropped slightly but he used each to point scoldingly at each of the aggressors in turn.

"And what does that mean, exactly?" Chancellor Roderick's voice rose among the cacophony as he approached Cullen. His hands were behind his back and he strutted much like a Peacock showing it's feathers. He believed he held all of the cards.

Cullen's sneer turned on him. "Back already, Chancellor? Haven't you done enough?"

Evelyn silently agreed. The Chancellor was trouble. "I'm curious, Commander," the Chancellor lifted his arms to draw more attention to himself. "As to how your Inquisition and it's 'Herald' will restore order as you've promised."