8. Reporting Lies

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

No part of this publication may be reproduced.

8. REPORTING LIES

Snowflakes breezed past my cheeks sharply. Beating my wings faster, I tried to pick up some more speed. Flying fast over the beautiful winter landscape, angrily I knocked the snow off the treetops with my hands as I flew more North. Making my way towards Eostrathaeus’ headquarters, most of us preferred to take the northern route.  I understood why, because after all this route was a fun park for experienced flyers. I dove down, just fitting under a little bridge as my body did a flying slide over the ice. One big beat and I was up again. I needed this physical exhaustion; I needed to be tired, huffing, puffing and sweating.  I didn’t want to risk that someone noticed my unease, as I delivered my selfish and incomplete report. 

Flying fast over the treetops my eyes saw nothing but snow covered trees, a never ending forest.  Then I hit the expected barrier at full speed. The warm heating feeling coated my entire body and brought along goose bumps. Every time, my wings couldn’t stop tingling. Picking up my speed, the enormous eons old buildings came closer into view. Completely stretching my dark blue wings as I made my slow descend, I was dried by the artificial sun and regained my usual sparkling silver tips. Landing softly on the green grass, I checked my dark brown designer shoes for any possible damaged from my joy flight.  Not even a scratch. “That’s right, you’re that good.” I praised myself as I straightened myself up. Flicking away the last snowflake, I looked pleased at myself. I was wearing my new tailor made pinstriped, dark blue designer suit. Depending on the mission I ruin an average of 10 suits a month, so one could never have enough suits. Slowly walking up the marble step, I feared for what was to come.

By the time I reached the top of the stairs, the faeries were already holding the door open for me with small smiles full of sharp teeth. “Love this part.” I grumbled. Slowly I walked through the beautiful large oak doors, so that they could all greet me one by one. “An honor to have you back, Sergeant Zophiel.” The faeries said in choir as they bowed their tiny heads. Their fake, sweet, adorable voices got me on edge every time. It was one of the many reasons why I never hired a Faerie as my personal assistant. However besides their lethality and amazing skills in most areas of expertise, they had become valued associates for us angels. Never the less, there had been a time where this could not be said. It is better to have a lethal friend than a lethal enemy. In this day and age, all the faeries that resided within the realm ruled by our Archangel Eostrathaeus, had sworn complete alliance and loyalty.

Turning left in one of the most breathtaking and largest marble halls, I began stress-walking to my unfortunate destination. I had to deliver my scouting report to Lt. Colonel Zacharias, but he had the horrible tendency of disappearing and delegating most of his work. The last thing I wanted was to have no other choice, than to report to one of the Knights of Eos.  These warriors were our Archangel’s five finest skilled personal guards. Lying to them or holding back information was futile, each Knight was skilled with the most exceptional gifts. They always knew, and I did not want to lose my feathers.  Staring at the big golden door of Lt. Colonel Zacharias’ office, I swallow and knocked.

“Enter.” Zacharias said. At the sound of his voice my heart slowly settled down in my chest, it had been beating out of control in anticipation. Opening the door, I stepped into an old dark Oak office that reminded me more of an old museum. Books, artifacts, art and small skeletons of diverse mythical creatures covered every wall and surface. “Sit down Sergeant, I don’t have time for you to eye-catalog everything in this office. Now, tell me about your report.” Zacharias demanded with a stern voice. The Lt. Colonel had always been a strict, plain and uniform angel. He did what he was told and he fought for it. Even though I was taller and more muscular, his wings were a lot larger.  The wings were a dark grey faded color however the tips of his feathers were silver. I gave a quick nod and rapidly took the seat in front of his desk. Completely centering myself, I tried to keep my composure as I denied, lied and hid certain parts of the report for my own selfishness.  “So in short, you’re telling me that the demon population in Forest Hill hasn’t increased to a problematic figure and you do not require backup. Secondly; I believe that you are more than capable to handle the situation further then. Forest Hill is your responsibility now Sergeant. Go now, I have to fly. Dismissed.” Zacharias said waving me away with his hand. Getting up gracefully, I saluted and walked proudly towards the door. Astonished at the fact that hadn’t been caught.