Missing

I always wondered how Aunt May reacted to Peter going to space in Infinity War and never returning.

May Parker finally got to go on her much-deserved break after countless hours of hectic chaos at the hospital.  There had been an incident in New York, but May hadn't heard many details other than the ramblings of injured patients, something about a giant donut and aliens.  It sounded crazy, but after finding out her nephew was the famous Spider-Man, nothing surprised her anymore. 

May grabbed her fourth cup of coffee of the night and sat down on the brown leather sofa in the break room.  There were a couple of other nurses in the break room, and they all looked equally exhausted from the hours of overtime they were forced to endure.  

Everyone in the break room had their eyes glued to the small TV in the corner of the room.  A reporter was standing in the middle of a destroyed street, surrounded by crushed cars and broken pavement.  

"I'm reporting live from where an unidentified ship has landed in the middle of the city, the invaders appear hostile and have engaged in a fight with Iron Man and two wizards."  The reporter yelled into his mic. trying to be heard over the sound of the distant battle.  

"It now appears Spider-Man has arrived to help," The reporter added. 

"No," May breathed.  Peter was supposed to be on a field trip, not fighting aliens.  She should have never let Peter go on that field trip, every time he goes somewhere, trouble seems to follow.  

The next clip was an up-close scene of Spider-Man swinging through the city trying to catch one of the wizards.  May was bouncing her knee uncontrollably as she watched Peter get hit by a billboard.  He quickly recovered and shot a web at the wizard, but just as soon as Peter had a hold on the wizard, he was sucked into some kind of tractor beam.  Spider-Man desperately tried to hold onto a nearby lampost, but he was no match for the powerful beam of blue light.  May watched in horror as Peter was sucked into the beam, unable to escape.  

"Mr. Stark, I'm being beamed up!" Peter cried, trying to hide the fear and panic in his voice.  

"Hang on, kid!" Tony yelled in the distance, trying to get loose from the weird giant robot alien thing he was currently fighting.  

Peter stuck onto the side of the ship as it began to take off.  "Come on, Peter, please just let go!" May pleaded under her breath.   But of course, Peter never let go, even as the ship soared into the sky never to be seen again.  Iron Man took off into the air chasing after the ship, but after several tense minutes May finally gave up hope of Peter returning to the ground.

~Three Weeks Later~ 

Tony arrived outside of Peter's apartment.  He had been recovering for the past four days and had spent the entire time thinking of how he was going to tell May he had lost her nephew.  Pepper and Happy both offered to go with Tony, but he told them he needed to do this alone.  

Tony stood outside the door for what seemed like ages, trying to build up the courage to knock on the door.  He took a deep breath and rapped his knuckles on the door.  Moments later the door opened to reveal a disheveled May Parker.  

"Tony? What are you doing here? How are you here?!"

"It's a long story, why don't you sit down."

They made their way to the worn couch in the living room.  Tony sat on the opposite side of May and let out a deep sigh.  He was about to break the news to her when she spoke up.

"If your back, does this mean Peter...?" May trailed off waiting for Tony to tell her that Peter was waiting for him at the Avengers Headquarters.

Tony gave her a sad look and immediately May knew that's not what Tony was going to say. 

"That's what I came here to tell you.  Peter- um, Peter didn't make it." Tony choked out.  "I tried to make him go home, but he's so God damned stubborn, he wouldn't listen.  And when Thanos snapped... I'm sorry."  By now, both Tony and May had tears running down their faces.  

"No, not my baby boy.  He was the only person I had left.  You're wrong, Tony, he can't be dead." May sobbed.  She knew Tony's words were true, but she refused to believe that Peter was gone. 

Tony refused to look May in the eyes, how could he?  He was the reason Peter was dead.  If only he had tried harder to stop Peter from going to space with him, if only he had never given Peter the suit, maybe he would still be here. 

"I'm so sorry May, its all my fault."

"As much as I would love to blame you, I can't.  Peter would have died whether or not he had gone with you.  You were his hero Tony. He would have followed you to the end of the world.  He always said he wanted to be just like you. He adored you Tony Stark.  There was nothing you could have done."

They both sat there in silence, coming to the realization that Peter Parker was gone.  Tony didn't think it was possible to miss someone this much.  Peter's death played on an endless loop in his head.  Tony knew he couldn't live in a world that didn't have Peter in it. He had to find a way to reverse what Thanos had done.

"I promise you I will do everything I can to get him back."

"I know you will Tony."