A Few Feathers Short

I sit on my bed staring at the light blue dress that is staring back at me. The prom is in a couple hours and I really don’t want to go. I haven’t talked to Duckie, or anyone really, in two days. I made up that test though. I bombed it. Right now, I don’t care what x or y stands for or why a man would buy fifty pounds of watermelon chunks. Algebra.

        My fingers skim the soft material of the dress. I should go. I mean, Terry and Kevin still want me to. I stand up and carry the dress to my mirror. It makes my blue eyes pop, but I don’t want my eyes to see Duckie. I messed it up for sure. Our eight year friendship died within a few short sentences. My eyes water at the thought of it.

        I hear Terry’s voice echo upstairs to my room. She’s going to convince me to go. I know she will. I quickly slip out of my black dress and switch it for my blue gown. Terry knocks on my door twice and opens it. She gasps at seeing me in the dress she picked out. I gasp at hers. She has a black gown that is cut to show her legs off, golden sparkles line it like a sash, and her black pumps are super cute.

“I told you blue was your color,” she spins me around to zip it up. “Besides, it also matches Duck’s.”

“Please, Terry, don’t mention him.”

“Oh,” she quiets her voice. “I didn’t tell you that he’s coming with us?”

I spin around and almost smack her. “What?”

She gives me a sheepish grin. “I didn’t want to un-invite him…”

“Please tell me you’re joking!”

“Caroline, please don’t start crying! You’ll ruin your makeup!” She starts looking for tissues. “Listen to me. We will make you look like a million dollars and every guy will ask you to dance.”

        She sits me down on my bed and starts to mess with my waves. I stare at nothing in particular out my window. I don’t want to see him. But I do want to see him. I want to apologize. I want to hug him. I want to tell him I don’t love him, even though I do. Terry puts my hair up in a bun, leaving my bangs across my forehead. She guides me to the mirror and I force a smile. She lights up, buying my fake grin.

        We walk down stairs, even though I slip a couple times, I make it in one piece. Heels are not my shoe of choice. My parents are taking pictures of Kevin and Duckie. Kevin matches Terry. He has a black tuxedo and a gold undershirt. His usual spiked hair is slicked back tonight. He actually looks kind of charming as he holds out his hand for Terry. She smiles at him and they start posing for their pictures.

        Duckie comes and stands next to me. He’s wearing the blue tuxedo, with a bolo tie, and his white undershirt collar up. His hair looks so nice that I have to fight the urge to touch it. He has his blue Elton John sunglasses on, so I have no idea where he is looking.

“You look beautiful,” he whispers.

I blush. “Thank you, you look great too.”

He scoffs. “I was told I would look great in anything and next to anyone.”

I laugh at the fact that he is quoting me. “Who told you that?”

“Oh, just this really amazing person that I miss,” he looks down at me. “But…”

“But…”

He whispers. “I plan on being there for her tonight.”

My heart sinks. “I wouldn’t have thought differently.”

“I just wanted you to know,” he says joining our friends to do pictures.

        I take a deep breath and try not to cry. Every guy will ask me to dance, but not the one I want.