Chapter 25

Wren pulled his motorcycle into a space outside the Hollow, dropping his helmet onto the seat. He was surprised by how excited he was to see everyone.

"Would you look at that," a young guy called as he entered the dimly lit bar. "It's a Christmas miracle."

"What's up, Logan?" Wren answered, slapping a hand on the teen's shoulder. "Did you miss me?"

"Hell yeah, brother," Logan answered, clapping Wren on the back. A few more men, a bit older than Wren for the most part, came over to greet him. After asking about everyone's respective lives and getting updates, Wren asked, "Hey, where's my old man?"

"He'll be around soon with your brothers," Jones answers, coming over from the door having just arrived. "They're bringing the pizza."

"Well, shit, dude," Wren said, greeting his friend. "Long time no see."

"Yeah, it's been a hot minute," joked Jones. "Cassie and Dax are bringing the beer, but everyone else should be here soon." Jones cast an eye at the crowd watching their reunion before asking loudly, "How's the girlfriend?"

Wren could have punched his friend on the spot. "She's not my girlfriend."

"You've got a girlfriend?" Logan asked. Logan was one of the youngest in the Fist, and he had always looked up to Wren somewhat. "Why didn't you bring her?"

"I don't have a fucking girlfriend," Wren snapped. He didn't want this to be the topic of the night. He could already sense the dirty looks of the older members, who were no doubt blaming Lindley for Wren leaving.

"Not for lack of trying," Jones argued.

"Yeah, we heard about this." The deep voice belonged to Julian. He stepped forward and towered over Wren, his arms crossed over his chest. "So what are you going to do about your bands?"

Wren had to force himself not to reach for the thick black lines encircling his wrist. "You going to make me do something about them?" The two stared into each other's eyes, neither willing to look away.

"Hey." Wren's father's presence immediately caused everyone in the room to shift uncomfortably. "We got a problem here, boys?"

"Just reminding your kin about our laws," Julian said, finally breaking his gaze with Wren. He stepped back and turned toward Captain, though with much less of a sinister posture.

"Don't worry about my kin," Cap told him. "Or do I need to remind you what Christmas means around here?"

Julian shrugged, turning away.

"Hey, Pops," Wren greeted, his voice still holding a threatening edge as he made his way over to greet his father. His posture slackened as Captain wrapped his arms around his son. "Merry Christmas." Captain pulled back, placing a hand warmly on the beanie atop Wren's head.

"You look good," he said, smiling warmly. Wren turned to greet his brothers who were carrying at least two-dozen pizzas.

Bates set his stacks down on the bar top and greeted his brother with a clasp on the arm. "Welcome back, brother. Are you here to stay or for the day?"

"You know the answer to that," Wren told him. He was feeling less thrilled to be back by the moment.

"It's Christmas," Liam reminded them, coming over to pull Wren into a tight hug. "You two get along."