Chapter 24

Lindley bit her lip as she stood on the porch of Wyatt and ME's home. She had a small duffel in her hand, and she clenched and relaxed her hand on the straps. A guilt was persistent in the middle of her chest, and she had been trying to shake it the entire walk over. Taking a deep breath, Lindley formed a fist and knocked on the pale blue door. She heard the clustered thumping of children's feet rushing the door.

"Lindley!" squealed Tess, rushing to hug her arms entirely around Lindley's right leg.

"What's up, Stink?" Lindley asked, reaching down to mess up her ever-present sandy-colored bedhead.

"Now we can open presents!" Cade shouted, running over to give Lindley a quick one-armed hug, only to dart back to his parents, who were laughing in the kitchen. Lindley made her way over there, swinging widely the leg that Tess was still attached to.

"There you are!" Mary Elizabeth greeted, walking over to hug Lindley in greeting. "Happy birthday and Merry Christmas." Lindley held on to her hug for a moment longer, savoring the warmth. This morning, her mother had wished her Happy Birthday, but missing was the card that she traditionally gave Lindley. Every year, her mother would pick out a card and leave the same note: I've only brought one thing into this world, and I'm sure glad it was you; and then she would transfer one hundred dollars into Lindley's savings account. This morning, Lindley received a sad happy birthday in the kitchen. Lindley assumed it was passive aggression as a result of knowing that it was the last birthday before her daughter graduated college.

Lindley didn't expect the lack of a card to bother her—and it didn't in itself—but it left an uneasy feeling in her stomach. A part of her didn't want to come to Old Rick's for Christmas. She wanted to go for a drive and waste her gas going just a little farther than WTCU, but she was scared that she wouldn't turn back if she did. The feeling of wanting to be alone left her the moment Tess glommed onto her leg, but ME's hug felt so much like home that she didn't want to let go.

"You okay, Sweetie?" ME asked, pulling back to look into her eyes with a hand on resting on Lindley's neck.

"Yeah," Lindley smiled at her. She turned down to Tess and asked, "So are we doing presents or what?" Tess squealed again, darting to kneel next to her brother, who was trying to predict what each box contained to Old Rick, who was seated in a rocking chair facing the Christmas Tree.

Lindley walked into the kitchen to meet Wyatt, who was sipping eggnog out of a chipped enamel mug. He put the mug down to smile tightlipped at her.

"Merry Christmas," Lindley greeted softly. She hadn't seen him since he got so angry the week before. Wyatt sighed, reaching his arm out to invite her into a hug. Lindley gladly accepted his peace offering and wrapped her arms around his middle.

"Happy birthday, kid," he told her, rubbing his thick hands across her back encouragingly. "I'm sorry I got mad last time you saw me."

"Forget it," Lindley insisted awkwardly, stepping back. "But I will be stealing some eggnog." The two laughed and Lindley poured herself a drink, liberally adding spiced rum from a bottle on the counter.

"What's Wren doing for Christmas?" ME asked, joining them from the hall now that the two had made up. "Should we have invited him to join us?"

"He's in the city for the day, spending the holiday with his family," Wyatt answered his wife, giving her a warning look to stop being so obvious, which she ignored deliberately.

"Well, I guess I'll save the mistletoe for when he's back," ME sighed, faking disappointment before winking at Lindley.

"I guess I'll just give you your present now," Lindley answered, avoiding eye contact with Wyatt. "But only if you don't make a big deal about it!" Lindley leaned in close to whisper in ME's ear. Her friend's eyes went wide and a broad grin spread on her face.