i.

“Why are you with me?” she voiced sitting on the edge of her seat, her cheek leaning against the leather of the seat in front of her. I sighed, zipping up my pants and pulling the suspenders over my shoulders. Her question was a routine we went through daily and even though I was completely used to her pleas and doubts, I still found myself slowly becoming irritated and exhausted.

        “Are you dressed?” I asked tightening the straps with my back towards her. The more I kept my focus on getting dressed in uniform, the easier it was to distract myself from lashing out and losing patience with her.

        “You can’t even answer me,” she whispered. I continued to get dressed instead of reacting towards her words. Her quietness turned into faint shuffles, signaling she was now up and going instead of sitting in thought. Internally I groaned and ran my hand through my hair making it stick in different directions as if I had bed head. “You know my answer Mace.”

        I turned around to face her, her back now towards me as she stuck a leg into each pant side. Stepping closer to her, I grabbed her suspenders and pulled them up to her shoulders, sighing as I felt her body tense underneath the straps.

        “I always answer you Mace,” I whispered with my lips pressed behind her ear, “and you know I love you.”

        I dropped my hands from her shoulders knowing that my words couldn’t change the thoughts going through her head. No matter how many times I told her I loved her, showed her, and proved to her; she could never truly believe it. Macy believed she wasn’t worth loving or being with and no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t convince her otherwise. It was difficult, frustrating, at that, but I loved her; and even if she didn’t believe it, I would continue to love her until her eyes shown.

        Macy pulled her jacket off her hanger and slid her arms through. “Can you zip me?” she asked pulling her hair into a small fist above her head. I pulled the sides of her jacket tighter around her body, “half way or all the way?”

        “All,” she mumbled. I nodded even though I knew she couldn’t see me and attached the zipper, sliding it up her back then latching the clip on the top. I grabbed her hand that was holding her hair and pulled her fingers apart, so her hair was now in my hand. Slowly, I let her hair fall down her back while my fingers followed, trailing down each strand.

        “I love you Macy,” I breathed into her hair before kissing it softly. “I know,” she whispered more to herself than me.

*** *** ***

i know i wasn't really clear with what they were getting dressed for but in case you were confused, they're both in marching band ;b