pasta

One hour and five outfit try-ons later, I transformed into the complete visionary of a classic Italian girl.

I could tell that Alessandra was proud of her work, and honestly, I couldn't complain. She was able to pick out an array of flowy, floral, dresses that varied in pastels and whites. For an older woman, she sure had good taste. She probably knew more about fashion than me.

Alessandra was nice enough to give me all three dresses for only twenty euros, which was a total steal considering that each dress seemed to be more than fifty euros on its own.

"Leonardo!" Alessandra hums loudly from the back of the store while shuffling to push me in front of her, "come and appreciate my work."

Leo chuckled quietly and took a few steps to meet us in the back. His eyes scanning my body as he did. I try my hardest to control the blush that I felt steadily rising to my cheeks, which was practically an impossible task considering the look he was giving me right now.

His eyes continued to me, very obviously enjoying the way the white dress accentuated my curves.

Although I was no stranger to male hormones, I felt myself shift under his gaze. I took a deep breath to bring myself back to my confident self and forget the vulnerability that Leo had induced.

"Don't I look like an Italian girl?" I say with a chuckle.

Leo smiles, "I'd almost believe you were one if it weren't for your American accent."

I shake my head, yeah that'd probably be an obvious give away...

I turn back to Alessandra and give her a genuine smile, "thank you so much Alessandra, I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of this."

The old woman grins back, the edges of her eyes crinkle from the slight wrinkles that line her face. "It was no problem mio caro," she shifts closer to me to whisper in my ear, "you are welcome back here anytime. I'm sure it won't be too long before I see you again, considering the way my nephew looks at you," she leans back and gives me a wink while sporting an especially mischievous smile for an old Italian woman.

I blush in response, feeling a flutter in my chest that I have a hard time ignoring.

"We should probably get going Alessandra," Leo says, giving us both a weird look. Obviously curious about our secretive exchange.

"Ah I see," says Alessandra with a frown, "you must come back soon. I miss you too much when you're gone."

Leo reaches for Alessandra to give her a tight hug, "tornerò presto, lo prometto," he says in a whisper.

I once again mentally slap myself for not taking Italian in high school.

With one last smile from Alessandra she shoos us both off and out of the store, mumbling something in Italian that I can't understand.

"Thank you!" I manage to yell as she practically pushes us out the door. I hear a slight "hmph" in response, and smile.

Leo leads me back to the unfamiliar cobblestone streets before turning to me, "where to now, tesoro?"

"You're the one who knows Naples best, I have no idea where to go," I say with a chuckle.

Leo shakes his head, "well, what do you want to do? I'll lead the way, of course," he says with a small smirk.

"I guess there is one thing..." I say, feeling my stomach grumble at the thought.

"And what is that?" Leo says with a cheeky grin.