alessandra's

"You are way too cliche."

"Oh come on, she's my baby."

"She?!"

I didn't think that Leo could become more of a classic Italian until I saw his gleaming, perfectly sparkling, red Vespa. Which was proclaimed both a "she" and Leo's "baby" in the same sentence.

"Be nice to Aurora!" Leo says with a frown as he grabs a single helmet from the front of the bike.

I roll my eyes as I squat down to get a better look at his beloved Vespa. "Aurora," I say, giving a quick glance to Leo to make sure he was watching, "I sincerely apologize for laughing at you. In no way was I attempting to hurt you or offend-"

"Oh be quiet," Leo says with a sigh as he tries to hide his smile.

I laugh as I sit back up, noticing a less than amused face overtake Leo's features.

"Shit," he curses.

"What?" I say, turning to look at Leo.

"I don't have another helmet..." he looks at me nervously, and rubs the back of his neck awkwardly, which I noticed was a habit of his.

"Oh..." I bit my lip gently, debating my options. However, before I could even begin to make a rational thought I felt something being placed on top of my head.

I look beside me to see Leo's kind smile, "did you really think I was going to take it?"

I open my mouth but then close it again.

"I'm hurt that you think that you think I'm some kind of stronzo." Leo says with mock hurt, as he clutches his heart.

"Stronzo?" I say, but then mentally slap myself for allowing the word to come out so very American.

"It means asshole," Leo says with a chuckle, "but cmon, we should get going. It's only a fifteen minute drive, we should be fine."

"Except... you don't have a helmet, and I haven't exactly heard that Italians are the best drivers," I say with a skeptical glance.

Leo waves his hand absentmindedly, "don't believe every cliche you here," he says with a roll of his eyes, "it's like me saying all Americans are fat."

I scoff, "we're not all overweight! And europeans eat McDonald's too!"

Leo cracks a smile and shakes his head, "just get on the bike."

I take a deep breath and try to ready myself. I had never been on any motorized bike, with the exception being my pink Barbie scooter I got when I was five.

I guess I was a little nervous.

"Tesero," Leo said gently, his Italian accent falling out of his lips naturally, "have you never been on a scooter before?"

I shook my head, "I think my parents would kill me," I say with an anxious chuckle.

Leo slightly frowns at the word 'parents'. I immediately draw the connection as I remember what he had said about his mother. She had just died, and I am an idiot.

"I'm sorry," I say with a wince, scolding myself inwardly for being so insensitive.

Leo shakes his head, "everyone needs to stop apologizing to me," he says with a dark laugh that very much contrasted from his usual, easy going chuckle.

"Sorry," I say again.

I'm the dumbest person alive.

Leo sighs before literally wiping the frown of his face and practically forces himself to smile.