Chapter 10

• Dedicated to Christian Skuthorpe Ftk

Dawn called up Tim and said “Hae Tim it’s Dawn,” “Oh my god. It has been years since I heard from ya. Around about 16 years. How are ya?” “Good kinda.  Hae would you be able to shout two girls a place to stay for a while. We could work for you or whatever. Jessie and I have not been the same for a while and I have gotten sick ov it. We agreed that it would be a good idea if Elle and I came over for like a holiday. Elle can’t wait to see Australia. Don’t worry Jessie is coming over when the work load is finished again, then he is going to quit and come and help you. We have so missed you.”

 “Ah… Yeah I’ve got a whole house you can stay in but we call it a homestead now. Um there is one small problem.” “Yeah what’s the problem?. Wait did you just say home stead?” “Yeah that’s what the small problem is. I got married and had a couple ov kids and I own a cattle station up in Dampier, it‘s near Darwin. It is ok with us but will you be able to cope. We are about 200km’s away from civilisation.” “Ah yeah we can cope. It will be no sweat, beside we need  a break form it all. Ok I will see you soon. Can we come tomorrow?” “that should be alright. Call me when you get to Dampier” “Right see you then. Bye Tim and thanks you’re a good man.”

He hang up. Dawn went to the school and signed Elle out while school was still on. When she came out ov the office, Elle’s friends including her boyfriend came up to her and asked what happened to Elle. Dawn said  “You…you don’t have to worry about her any more, she wont be in your way, so dont worry she wont ruin you or what you set out to do to my daughter. Everything is fine. Goodbye”

When she got home she put their bags in the car and told Elle “ It is all going to be okay sweetie, I promise. Just trust me okay.” They went to bed and woke up the next morning for the airport. When they left the house they were swooned by Elle’s friends. So Dawn pulled her into the car and took off. They then kept on getting messages and calls from her friends, but they didn’t answer a single one.

They got on a Boeing 747/300 Jumbo to Darwin, then got a small plane to Dampier. When they got to Dampier, Dawn called Tim and told him “We are at the airport here in Dampier and are on our way to the pub. Where are you?” “Ah we are about 50km’s from the pub, we shall she you in about half an hour. Bye.” we walked on over to the pub and ordered a couple ov drinks. We took them to a table while every god damn man in the room was staring at us. We sat down and got onto our laptop’s and started typing.

One ov the men was walking over until I put up my left hand and showed him the ring. Then I passed Elle a note saying “You know that ring I got you. Put it on the wedding finger otherwise these men around us are never going to leave you alone.”  She put her ring on that finger as well. About 10mins later Tim and a boy walk in, I suspect the boy to being the same age as Elle, but I don’t bother with him.

I stand up and so does Elle, Tim walks over and goes “Dawn is that you?” I shake my head and say “Yeah it’s me…” we cuddle then I introduce them “Um… Tim this is my daughter Elle, Elle this is your daddy’s and my best mate from school.” they shake hands. Then Tim introduces us to his son “Dawn and Elle this is my son Declan, Declan this is  Dawn and Elle. Dawn’s the one I was talking about last night that I helped bring down the cheating mutt.”

I ask “Hae do you want to join us and have a drink while we finish our typing.?” They took a seat and nod at all the men around the room then he says  “Sure thing Dawn. It has been so long  since we did that thing to Taylor and Kris. That was so funny hae?.” she nods. Elle turns off her laptop and asks “What did you do? Mama hardly ever talks about what happened before she and daddy moved to America and conceived me.” I nearly shouted but said “Elle remember that talk we had, remember you promising not to talk like that around other people. I will personally tell you another time. Now why don’t we let the boys drink.”

When we finished our drinks we all got into the car and headed out. During the ride Tim told us that the cattle station is called ‘Knock Them Down Rains’. Looking out the windows, there was not much senary, just a couple ov trees and a whole lot ov dirt.

Cattle stations in Australia are interesting and unique places. A couple ov water tanks and a whole lot ov rocks on the ground that could ov been a shelter or something during the wars. When we got there we parked the car and got out. Everyone were on the veranda drinking what looked like whisky.

“Dawn and Elle, this is my wife Jennifer and my two daughters  Cherry and  Selena.” They shaked  each others hands and then  Tim and Declan take them to the homestead and say “Dinner is in  3 hours up at the main homestead. We will send someone down to come and bring you to it, we don‘t want you getting lost now do we?.” They left them to get unpacked, and cleaned up.

Elle stuck up all the fun she had with her friends and all that on her bedroom wall. Three hours later Declan comes down and gets them for dinner. He looks into Elle’s eyes and to him it looks like she has just been hurt by someone and needs to be comforted. Elle can see the exact different like he doesn’t need help protecting himself where as she does.

They stand up and he holds the door open for them and show’s the way to the main homestead. When they got there, Declan lets the girls walk in first then follows shortly in behind them. He holds out the chairs for the girls showing that manners didn’t die when their grandfathers did. Then walks around the far end ov the table and sits down next to Tim and Selena.

After dinner Declan and Elle went down to the billabong for a swim, while Dawn helped Jennifer take out all of the dishes out to the kitchen where they started washing up. After that they put the teat owls in the laundry and headed towards the front of the house to the bar. They got two pinna colada’s and headed out onto the veranda.

While everyone were having their nightly drinks, only just started swimming. Firstly they took of all their clothes except for their swimmers and dived in. when Declan came up for some air he looked around for Elle but could not see her. He couldn’t see her swimming smoothly through the water and heading straight for him.